The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Pics
Is spangling recessive like mottling? Or will it show up with only one parent having it?
Spangling is caused by a combination of genes.
I think you might get poor-quality spangling with some crosses, since most of the genes involved are considered dominant.

http://kippenjungle.nl/sellers/page2.html
Partway down this long page, there's a table showing several patterns and what genes are involved in making them. It's got single lacing, double lacing, spangling, and some others. They all seem to be various interactions of the patttern gene with other genes.

What would crossing Red JungleFowl(Tail sets are low, the females raise their tails in excitement occasionally)
20220814_174257.jpg
to my girl Pea result in?
20211204_104553.jpg

What would crossing Red JungleFowl(Tail sets are low, the females raise their tails in excitement occasionally)View attachment 3228026to my girl Pea result in?View attachment 3228027
What traits are you trying to figure out?

You'll get chickens with single combs, clean legs, no crest or muff/beard.
Colors will include gold or red, with black in the tails and various other places.

Size, body shape, and tail carriage are likely to be in between what the two parent types have, but there's no guarantees there, especially if the mother is herself a mix.

Daughters should have dark shanks, sons get light shanks. I can't see leg colors well enough in the photo to be sure if you're dealing with white or yellow skin color, but I'm guessing white skin (white shanks in sons, slate shanks in daughters.)

Spangling is caused by a combination of genes.
I think you might get poor-quality spangling with some crosses, since most of the genes involved are considered dominant.

http://kippenjungle.nl/sellers/page2.html
Partway down this long page, there's a table showing several patterns and what genes are involved in making them. It's got single lacing, double lacing, spangling, and some others. They all seem to be various interactions of the patttern gene with other genes.
Okay, so odds are (depending on the color of the male) that I won't get solid chicks from crossing a spangled to nonspangled?

What traits are you trying to figure out?

You'll get chickens with single combs, clean legs, no crest or muff/beard.
Colors will include gold or red, with black in the tails and various other places.

Size, body shape, and tail carriage are likely to be in between what the two parent types have, but there's no guarantees there, especially if the mother is herself a mix.

Daughters should have dark shanks, sons get light shanks. I can't see leg colors well enough in the photo to be sure if you're dealing with white or yellow skin color, but I'm guessing white skin (white shanks in sons, slate shanks in daughters.)
Wanted to just know what general traits, color wise, body type etc.

I know they'd be sexlinked by barring since the Pea is lightly barred. Pea has yellow skin.

Wanted to just know what general traits, color wise, body type etc.
For color, some is obvious: pure for gold (not silver), showing some black (not blue, splash, Dominant White, Khaki, etc.), and so on.

I'm not good enough with type to predict anything specific there.

Pea has yellow skin.
Then the chicks will carry the gene from yellow skin. If the Jungle Fowl have white skin, and do not themselves carry yellow skin, then the chicks will show white skin.

For color, some is obvious: pure for gold (not silver), showing some black (not blue, splash, Dominant White, Khaki, etc.), and so on.

I'm not good enough with type to predict anything specific there.

Then the chicks will carry the gene from yellow skin. If the Jungle Fowl have white skin, and do not themselves carry yellow skin, then the chicks will show white skin.
All the JungleFowl seem to be pure for white skin.

Back
Top Bottom