The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Pics
Pictures of the parents please
I am working on getting pictures.
For one of them at least - the momma must surely be my spurred hen (silver columbian FF ). The baby is FF columbian - but with a "buff" base instead of white/silver.
I am in the process of trying to get a decent picture her as well as of both of the offspring in question.

Last edited:
Here are a few pictures of one of the mystery "babies". I was having a hard time getting pictures of her because she has decided to go broody on her first few eggs. Everytime i try to take my tablet near her to get a pic she gets kind of flighty and won't sit still for a good pic. I do not know exactly who her parents are. More than anything though, it would be really neat to pin down at least some of her genotype. The only mahogany birds that could possibly have contributed to the mahogany on her neck would have been one of two RIR s. I'm not sure if thats columbian (on her neck and tail) coming through from a delaware momma or not. Really interested in some feedback on this one if possible.
20220219_115653.jpg
20220219_115546.jpg

Last edited:
@nicalandia
Thank you for such an informative thread!

I have a question.
I have 4 Wyandottes:
1 Silver Laced Rooster
1 Blue Lace Hen
2 Ivory White Hens
(1 of the Ivory has a few feathers of Ivory mixed with some Red on them)

20200927_175435.jpg
20201209_220324.jpg 20201130_132920.jpg 20201130_224650.jpg

I gathered 4 eggs and hatched them out.
The results...
1. 1 Blue Laced Red Rooster
2. 1 Blue Laced Red Hen
3. 1 Multicolored Rooster
(Has Blue, Red, Gold, etc.)
4. 1 Paler Blue with Pale Red Lacing

The Silver Laced Rooster is sire to all 4 youngsters.

I'm thinking the Blue Laced Reds #s 1 & 2, are from the Blue Hen.
Blue Lace Red.jpg

The other pair #s 3 & 4...no clue.
I have no genetic information going back, unfortunately. The Ivory White hens or even the Blue could carry some recessive genes.
So, I wondered, what could produce these colors?

I'm calling them Ivory intead of White because compared to a white hen, they truly are off white.

I am not positive, but I was Trying to collect 2 eggs from the Blue Hen & 1 egg each from the Ivory hens. My guess was that the Ivory with a few feathers that have the red on them produced the colorful Roo & the pure Ivory hen produced the Paler blue & red hen. So...the Ivory hens as well as the Silver Lace Roo must All have Blue & Red in their genes?

Sorry if my questions seem silly, but I'm not well versed with genetics. I got fairly good with predictions of Cockatiels & Pigeons offspring years ago, but chickens are Very Colorful & new to me.

Thank you 20201224_120447.jpg 20200927_131452.jpg 20200918_094017.jpg 20200927_133159.jpg
20201224_120517.jpg

Last edited:
@nicalandia

Another question...

I've had Pigeons a lot longer than Chickens. With Pigeons, feather colors as well as other traits, are passed down from father to daughter, and mother to son.

Is this also true with Chickens?

I had a totally brown pigeon hen mated to a black male, and he was all black except for 1 small white feather...and they produced pure white female babies!

It's very interesting.
So, while I know dominant & recessive genes all play a part, is it true most times female babies take after dad, and male babies take after mom?

Thanks!
20210624_135812.jpg

Last edited:
is it true most times female babies take after dad, and male babies take after mom?
That is only sort-true for genes on the sex chromosome.
For chickens, that would include gold/silver, barred/not, chocolate, and one of the skin color genes.

For the genes on the Z sex chromosome, the daughter only gets it from her father.
The son gets it from both his parents, so he shows whichever trait is dominant.

For any genes that are NOT on the sex chromosome, chicks of both genders will show whichever gene is dominant.

Note: chickens (and other birds) have sex chromosomes that are backwards of what mammals have. So a male chicken has ZZ, and a female has ZW. The mother determines the sex of the chick by whether she passes on the Z or the W chromosome.

I don't know pigeon genetics, but a little googling tells me they do have several important genes on the Z chromosome.

What would a mille fleur D'uccle over a white crested black polish bantam look like?

What would a gold neck D'uccle over a mille fleur D'uccle look like?

What about a black crested white polish standard over a white crested black polish bantam?

What would a mille fleur D'uccle over a white crested black polish bantam look like?

What would a gold neck D'uccle over a mille fleur D'uccle look like?

What about a black crested white polish standard over a white crested black polish bantam?

Millie Fleur are eb/eb, Co/Co, mo/mo
White Crested Black Polish are E/E, co+/co+, Mo+/Mo+

So the cross will be E/eb, Co/co+, Mo+/mo. Basically All Black chicks with crests and feather shanks

@nicalandia

I just adore the huggable chunkiness & full feathering of Wyandottes.
So I have the 3 Roosters now, all of the Silver based.

I also have a few new Gold Laced hens, 6 mos old.

I'm wondering what color chicks would pairing produce?

Or would you suggest just putting the Gold Lace hens with 1 Rooster in particular?

Right now, they're with my most colorful Roo.

Or should I focus on keeping the silver line silver?

20220111_104600.jpg 20220223_121433.jpg 20220223_121418.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom