The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Pics
Okay I have another one, @NatJ and/or @nicalandia

If I get a Polish rooster that is Tolbunt coloring…and I have splash, white (recessive), black (may be mottled but BARELY), and partridge Silkie hens…who would be best to pair with the rooster to get an eventual Tolbunt Silkie? I know Tolbunt is considered a mottled coloring, yes? So to keep the mottling and colors…is the potentially mottled black hen good or no?

Thanks! 😍

If I get a Polish rooster that is Tolbunt coloring…and I have splash, white (recessive), black (may be mottled but BARELY), and partridge Silkie hens…who would be best to pair with the rooster to get an eventual Tolbunt Silkie? I know Tolbunt is considered a mottled coloring, yes? So to keep the mottling and colors…is the potentially mottled black hen good or no?

I think Tolbunt is mottling on gold lacing. None of your hens is going to be terribly helpful for the lacing part of it. If the black hen has mottling, that could be useful.

I would probably not use the recessive white, because you won't want white birds popping up later in your Tolbunt line, but you could probably work with any of the others.

You could cross the Tolbunt rooster to all of the hens, then cross daughters back to him and see which produces the best-colored chicks, then decide how best to continue from there.

I'm pretty sure you will be able to tell which chicks come from the black hen (black), the splash hen (blue), and the partridge hen (gold-and-black patterning.)

All the half-silkie chicks should show crest, feathered feet, 5th toe, and possibly muff/beard. The silkie feathered trait it recessive, so you won't see it in the first generation of crosses, and if you breed them back to the Polish you won't see silkie feathers in the next generation either.

It will be easier to see the patterns in the feathers with normal feathering instead of silkie feathering, so you might want to try breeding them as Satins rather than Silkies, at least at the beginning.

I think Tolbunt is mottling on gold lacing. None of your hens is going to be terribly helpful for the lacing part of it. If the black hen has mottling, that could be useful.

I would probably not use the recessive white, because you won't want white birds popping up later in your Tolbunt line, but you could probably work with any of the others.

You could cross the Tolbunt rooster to all of the hens, then cross daughters back to him and see which produces the best-colored chicks, then decide how best to continue from there.

I'm pretty sure you will be able to tell which chicks come from the black hen (black), the splash hen (blue), and the partridge hen (gold-and-black patterning.)

All the half-silkie chicks should show crest, feathered feet, 5th toe, and possibly muff/beard. The silkie feathered trait it recessive, so you won't see it in the first generation of crosses, and if you breed them back to the Polish you won't see silkie feathers in the next generation either.

It will be easier to see the patterns in the feathers with normal feathering instead of silkie feathering, so you might want to try breeding them as Satins rather than Silkies, at least at the beginning.
Awesome, thanks!! 😎

@nicalandia

I am confused by the results of my hatches.

I have two roosters, not separated, a Black Langshan and a Blue Australorp.

I have a number of hens, who will be described in re: the resulting chicks.

First, I set 2 eggs from the California White and both hatched. I have one yellow chick with black spots as expected:
0420221941a-jpg.3072581

But only one.

Is it possible that this black chick that doesn't have the usual light markings seen in the Australorps is also hers?
0420221942-jpg.3072583

I had two French Cuckoo Marans eggs hatch. I also have a Black Langshan pullet and a Silver-Laced Cochin Pullet. I tried to include eggs from each of them in the mix but can never be sure since I have a great abundance of midtone brown eggs. I avoided including the Light Brahma hen's eggs because she's a bad layer of weirdly-round eggs.

But I have only one chick with feathered feet:
0420221944a-jpg.3072615

Aren't feathered feet dominant? Surely at least both Marans crosses ought to be feather-footed?

Females not mentioned earlier include Blue Australorps, Mottled Javas, SLW, Dominique, and Orpington x Wyandottes who are split to lavender.

These are the rest of the chicks:
0420221943-jpg.3072589
0420221944-jpg.3072618
0420221945a-jpg.3072622
0420221946-jpg.3072623

0420221947-jpg.3072625

@nicalandia

I am confused by the results of my hatches.

I have two roosters, not separated, a Black Langshan and a Blue Australorp.

I have a number of hens, who will be described in re: the resulting chicks.

First, I set 2 eggs from the California White and both hatched. I have one yellow chick with black spots as expected:
0420221941a-jpg.3072581

But only one.

Is it possible that this black chick that doesn't have the usual light markings seen in the Australorps is also hers?
0420221942-jpg.3072583

California White hens are E/ER(Leghorns are known to be Birchen) I/i+(heterozygous dominant white) and B/-, S/-

The second chick was likely sired by the Australorp and it's a female(lack of headspot) and it's E/ER which has darker chick down than what is found on homozygous dominant black chicks

Last edited:
California White hens are E/ER(Leghorns are known to be Birchen) I/i+(heterozygous dominant white) and B/-, S/-

The second chick was likely sired by the Australorp and it's a female(lack of headspot) and it's E/ER which has darker chick down than what is found on homozygous dominant white chicks

Thank you.

Thank you. You do think that the black chick that doesn't look like an Australorp is likely to be the other California White cross then?

Any thoughts on the mysterious absence of foot feathers despite knowing that I set eggs from feather-footed females and having a feather-footed male as one of the possible fathers?

Back
Top Bottom