The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Basically like any gold based partridge breeds
This cockerel's sire was a gold based partridge (Penedesenca) and his mum was lavender (which is modified black if I've understood it right, but I'm very unsure about that), so where does the white come from?
Killay 6 mnths.JPG

This cockerel's sire was a gold based partridge (Penedesenca) and his mum was lavender (which is modified black if I've understood it right, but I'm very unsure about that), so where does the white come from?
View attachment 3370708

Let's see if I've learned what I think I've learned (If not, the teachers here will correct me),

Black can hide many things, and thus likewise lavender can as well, and this fellow is birchen.

Or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. :D

View attachment 3370708
All chickens are either gold, silver, or (possible for roosters) gold/silver. The silver came from the lavender hen.
He doesn’t look birchen to me.

thank you kindly @3KillerBs @RoostersAreAwesome and @NagemTX
3 different answers so far, so I guess it isn't obvious, and I don't feel such a numpty now :p

on the silver duckwing suggestion, I have a silver duckwing welsummer hen but I don't think she was the mum/grandmother, because this guy has a pea comb and the only hen I have with a pea comb is the lavender araucana. Or can pea combs be hidden by straight or coronation combs? (no other type here)

View attachment 3370708
The phenotype(outwards feather pattern) of the pictured male could not have come from a pure self lavender(all lavender) bird, he looks Silver Duckwing(wich by the way could be attain from wildtype e+ or eb and even Wheaten)

If he was E/eb he would have looked mostly solid black.

I see a pea comb and a crest. neirther Penedesnca carry those so that could lead you to the possible dame.

Last edited:
I see a pea comb and a crest. neirther Penedesnca carry those so that could lead you to the possible dame.
the lavender araucana (British type, with tail and no ear tufts) has both crest and pea comb; that's who I assume was his dame.
he looks Silver Duckwing(wich by the way could be attain from wildtype e+ or eb
so that did come from the partridge penedesenca sire then? or have I misunderstood?

the lavender araucana (British type, with tail and no ear tufts) has both crest and pea comb; that's who I assume was his dame.
So you have a British Type Araucana? In any case he should also have a beard if his dame was a British Type Araucana

f4cfab29491362eb98bd12a692f9a2da.jpg

The rooster in question can not come from a pure lavender bird(unless the lavender comes form a Lavender x Isabel cross breeding)

So you have a British Type Araucana? In any case he should also have a beard if his dame was a British Type Araucana

f4cfab29491362eb98bd12a692f9a2da.jpg

The rooster in question can not come from a pure lavender bird(unless the lavender comes form a Lavender x Isabel cross breeding)
yes his mum looks just like that.
I have wondered if she was not pure because her eggs are only faint blue.
In any case he should also have a beard if his dame was a British Type Araucana
If he's got a beard, it's a very small one, and not visible in any photos I've got of him.

The photo below is of the bird that was his dad, I think
Phoenix5 (3).JPG

Back
Top Bottom