The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Father of the first color changing hen is Dino. He's a crossing of Buff Orpington/Barred Rock X Buff Orpington/Australorp.
A chicken from that mix of pure breeds should not have mottling. (I know you already said that. I'm just agreeing that mottling in him would be quite surprising.)

@NatJ
This is the only mottled hen(Bantam) I have. Do you think she'd work for crossing with Dino?

It depends on what you're trying to get from the cross.
If you want a double-check on whether he's got mottling, then yes she would probably work.

Smarty Pants, Mother of the Chameleon Hen(I don't have chick pictures of her, but she looked exactly like a Barred Rock chick.)
You say she looked like a Barred Rock as a chick, but do you know what she actually is? I'm pretty sure I see a beard, which of course is not a Barred Rock trait.

 IF my Chameleon hen is mottled, & bred to the mottled Split rooster, the results would be like this:
25% Solid Black Males, with leakage.

25% Solid Black Females, with leakage

25% Mottled Males, with leakage

25% Mottled Females, with leakage

Yes, that's what I would expect, if she's homozygous for mottling.

You say she looked like a Barred Rock as a chick, but do you know what she actually is? I'm pretty sure I see a beard, which of course is not a Barred Rock trait.
She's a Cuckoo Easter Egger, that lays Jumbo, to colossal pink eggs.
A chicken from that mix of pure breeds should not have mottling. (I know you already said that. I'm just agreeing that mottling in him would be quite surprising.)
Yes it would, though I highly doubt mottling is in his background.
It depends on what you're trying to get from the cross.
If you want a double-check on whether he's got mottling, then yes she would probably work.
It would to just to prove, or rule out the recessive mottling theory, show my birds in that group have no mottling trait.

OK so I would like to learn some more things about comb genetics. Will mixing two different comb types lead to a "hybrid" comb, and which gene determines the comb type
Single Comb is p+ and r+
Pea Comb is P
Rose Comb is R

The combination of both at the homozyous state P/P, R/R will lead to a comb called Walnut Comb or Cushion Comb (Note that you can't have P/R combine because they are different mutations not allelic to eachother)

Single Comb is p+ and r+
Pea Comb is P
Rose Comb is R

The combination of both at the homozyous state P/P, R/R will lead to a comb called Walnut Comb or Cushion Comb (Note that you can't have P/R combine because they are different mutations not allelic to eachother)
Thank you so much. What about the "V" comb and the buttercup comb

Thank you so much. What about the "V" comb and the buttercup comb
V is in a different allele, Butter Cup comb is an allelelic mutation of the V shaped comb.

I have never seen a bird with P/P, R/R and V/V, but I believe it will basically reduce the comb shape to nearly nothing.

V is in a different allele, Butter Cup comb is an allelelic mutation of the V shaped comb.

I have never seen a bird with P/P, R/R and V/V, but I believe it will basically reduce the comb shape to nearly nothing.
Ugh its so complex but so interesting! Thank you for your help, I might have been keeping chickens for quite some time, but you can learn something new every day, and learning about chicken genetics make me feel like a beginner all over again!

So one could theoretically have a a buttercup polish somewhat easily by introduce buttercup comb to polish? Or would it be just as hard to make as any other gene?

And does the seperate Alleles mean that the offspring of a single comb and V comb could be bred to a sibling and breed true for that comb look?

Back
Top Bottom