The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

https://bitchinchickens.com/2021/04/05/vaulted-skulls-in-chickens/

Also crested Ducks..

1-s2.0-S0378111919309412-gr1.jpg

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378111919309412
thank you!

@nicalandia or @NatJ can you tell me the basic genetics for the bobwhite bantam Cochins? I got a breeding pair and can’t find a ton of information about them and want to understand them more. The lady I got them from wasn’t much help 🤪 Thanks!!

Attachments

• FCBB7246-7CD4-43AB-805E-BA48A4C2DC6E.jpeg
    FCBB7246-7CD4-43AB-805E-BA48A4C2DC6E.jpeg
    516.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 9675100C-4A21-41B4-AE13-76B7392725FB.jpeg
    9675100C-4A21-41B4-AE13-76B7392725FB.jpeg
    571.1 KB · Views: 5
@nicalandia or @NatJ can you tell me the basic genetics for the bobwhite bantam Cochins? I got a breeding pair and can’t find a ton of information about them and want to understand them more. The lady I got them from wasn’t much help 🤪 Thanks!!
The name of the pattern is called Bobtail. I suspect that is another allelic mutation of the recessive white gene(like Opal in OEGB)

hredirect2.php

Just checking my understanding of a situation.

My chicks that hatched Sunday included two from eggs laid by the California White.

Obviously the dominant white chick is hers, but other than that there's probably no way to pick any of her other chicks out from the sea of blue, black, and very black chicks.

IIRC, that Leghorn x California Grey heritage could be hiding just about ANYTHING genetically, right?

I did ID a previous Australorp x California White when she stopped growing at a smaller size and developed whitish earlobes at POL.

Resulting feather color of Black laced silver Orpington roo over Lavender Ameraucana hen? Light olive egg? Trying to decide on whether to throw one of her eggs in the bator.
(Black)Incomplete Silver Laced, or Leaky, Blacks may result.

Just don't remember if Silver Laced Orpingtons are Partridge, or Birchen based though.

Eggs should be light Olive if the hen is Homozygous(Double) for blue egg gene.

Just checking my understanding of a situation.

My chicks that hatched Sunday included two from eggs laid by the California White.

Obviously the dominant white chick is hers, but other than that there's probably no way to pick any of her other chicks out from the sea of blue, black, and very black chicks.

IIRC, that Leghorn x California Grey heritage could be hiding just about ANYTHING genetically, right?

I did ID a previous Australorp x California White when she stopped growing at a smaller size and developed whitish earlobes at POL.
I think you are pretty much right.

White barring is one you might watch for. If she has it, all of her sons will have it too. (But if she's ever produced a not-white son, with no white barring, then you will know that she does not have the barring gene.)

In future, you might consider putting her eggs in a mesh bag at lockdown time, so you can identify them.

I have also read of dyeing chicks while they are still in the shell, so they can be identified easily after hatch. (Injecting a bit of dye into the shell on a certain day of incubation.) But that works best on chicks with light-colored down, which are the ones you can already idenfity. Dye isn't going to show up very well on black or blue chicks, which are the ones where it would be useful.

White barring is one you might watch for. If she has it, all of her sons will have it too. (But if she's ever produced a not-white son, with no white barring, then you will know that she does not have the barring gene.)

In future, you might consider putting her eggs in a mesh bag at lockdown time, so you can identify them.

I don't have any headspots in this batch.

I bought a bunch of plastic canvas to make incubator dividers and breed baskets for my future hatches -- mainly to separate out the Australorps from the SL Australorp(ish) project birds.

Back
Top Bottom