The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Amazing. Keep us post it
Some Just hatched !!! Eeeek gosh I LOVE hatching chicks !!! I did a time lapse but I can’t post it here. So one question I did the fibro EE ROO (fly by night) with my lavender just one egg….I thought baby would be black….. but it’s blue…. I’ll show u all pictures after the hatch we are half way! Got all the other coming !

I have some questions about polydactyly, relating to my bantam cochin/silkie crosses.
Mostly what it boils down to is: am I dealing with dominant or recessive polydactyly? Also an explanation to how the gene works would be great, if it isn’t too much to ask. Also, am I just missing any signs of polydactyly from the father?

None of my breeders show polydactyly; I’ve checked them all over several times and they show none of the forms that I’ve heard dominant polydactyly can come in.
Despite this, I’ve had a few chicks from them show polydactyly. 4 or 5 older ones from a small hatch, and I recently had a hatch of 22, where 6 or less show any sign of polydactyly. My count on how many have it may not be right, but it wasn’t a lot. Most have extra claws forming off their main dewclaw.. toe? A few show fully formed extra toes. One has elongated back toes. I’ve attached photos of the 3 forms I’ve seen, then of the father.
chicks:
07FCE8B8-C454-4EDE-BE99-2ED666492604.jpeg
9DCEB6BB-AA64-4154-AE1A-6A0CBA413CCA.jpeg
7F6D39C5-7D9B-4208-9C90-279BFC1E7F6F.jpeg

father:

963F104A-1117-4D53-8929-C8F78AAA8867.jpeg

I have some questions about polydactyly, relating to my bantam cochin/silkie crosses.
Mostly what it boils down to is: am I dealing with dominant or recessive polydactyly? Also an explanation to how the gene works would be great, if it isn’t too much to ask. Also, am I just missing any signs of polydactyly from the father?

None of my breeders show polydactyly; I’ve checked them all over several times and they show none of the forms that I’ve heard dominant polydactyly can come in.
Despite this, I’ve had a few chicks from them show polydactyly. 4 or 5 older ones from a small hatch, and I recently had a hatch of 22, where 6 or less show any sign of polydactyly. My count on how many have it may not be right, but it wasn’t a lot. Most have extra claws forming off their main dewclaw.. toe? A few show fully formed extra toes. One has elongated back toes. I’ve attached photos of the 3 forms I’ve seen, then of the father.
chicks:View attachment 3476588View attachment 3476589View attachment 3476596
father:

View attachment 3476593
I don't think they have to show polydactly for them to pass it on.

Back
Top Bottom