The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

This is what I thought till I just hatched this could this be blue? Is that possible?…. Lavender mama with fly by night n got this one …thought it would be black. I have the other chicks too to show you !
I don’t think this is a lavender chick. It looks blue to me.
The father must be split to lavender.
I get 25% lavender from two black parents.
You are correct, if this were a lavender chick, but I strongly suspect it is a blue chick, which would also be split to lavender.
Can this be produced from a lav and dominate white?
Yes, if the dominant white parent only has one copy of dominant white (because this chick didn’t get it) and if the dominant white parent also has a blue gene, to make the blue chick. (Or a lavender gene to make a lavender chick.)

The male posted above (I believe his name is Fly By Night?) certainly looks to me like he could have both one dominant white gene and one blue gene.

You are correct, if this were a lavender chick, but I strongly suspect it is a blue chick, which would also be split to lavender.

Yes, if the dominant white parent only has one copy of dominant white (because this chick didn’t get it) and if the dominant white parent also has a blue gene, to make the blue chick. (Or a lavender gene to make a lavender chick.)

The male posted above (I believe his name is Fly By Night?) certainly looks to me like he could have both one dominant white gene and one blue gene

The male posted above (I believe his name is Fly By Night?) certainly looks to me like he could have both one dominant white gene and one blue gene.
Thank you!

I am already there...

Who is going to be the first to offer me some of their hatching eggs?
If you ever visit the US again, sometime. I'll try to have some Malay Hatching eggs for you. Just couldn't do something like that this year thanks to a Turkey that killed off a couple of my ladies.

I’ve got an EE hen that appears to have a little bit of mottling on her, just her head and muffs. She wasn’t always like this, it showed up in her last molt, I believe, and she’s five years old. Is this really mottling? And if so, would it be dominant or recessive? I can get better pictures if necessary
7A8ADF76-3C13-4DB5-A586-6AA066F28FB2.jpeg
BE9B01F0-9B6B-4FC9-A2AE-4747F575D0F5.jpeg
2E2CAB42-48E7-4695-A020-68B2897590A1.jpeg

I’ve got an EE hen that appears to have a little bit of mottling on her, just her head and muffs. She wasn’t always like this, it showed up in her last molt, I believe, and she’s five years old. Is this really mottling? And if so, would it be dominant or recessive? I can get better pictures if necessary
View attachment 3479376View attachment 3479378View attachment 3479380
Mottling is usually considered recessive (only shows if the chicken has two copies of the gene.) Chickens with mottling usually get more white as they get older.

I have seen some birds with only one copy of the mottling gene, that had a few small bits like what your bird has. Some others showed nothing at all, even though I knew they also had one copy of the mottling gene.

So your chicken might have one copy of the mottling gene, and is showing tiny but increasing effects. Or it might just be a weird thing that isn't easy to explain, since plenty of unexplainable things happen with chickens too.

Back
Top Bottom