The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Oh! So cool! Sooo, the first one is out and she looks mottled. I know you said she could not be but she looks like she is. And yes, I know I am not supposed to help but she had been trying for over 24 hous and made barely any progress. It is my first hatch so another one is shrink wrapped and the membranes are just to tough. It is making me wonder if I should check the other ones!View attachment 3497396
Nicalandia can explain the mottling gene better then I can. So, you can get a better idea why the chick is that coloration.

What's your humidity level?

I am trying to figure out what my chicks from my Black mottled japanese bantam rooster crossed with both my Blue silkie and my blue OEGB would look like. They are hatching right now and I see some white and black onthe first chick.
You should get some black chicks, and some blue chicks.
If one of the mothers carries the gene for mottling, some of her chicks might show mottling. Otherwise, you should not get any mottled chicks.

Black chicks often look like little penguins, with black on their back and white or yellow on their bellies and a few other places. Mottled chicks often have less black and more white or yellow. Sometimes the difference is very obvious, but sometimes they look enough alike that you have to wait for them to grow feathers before you can be sure.

McMurray hatchery has images of Black Australorp chicks. They are showing an amount of black and white that is fairly typical for chicks that will grow up black with no mottling:
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/black_australorps.html

You should get some black chicks, and some blue chicks.
If one of the mothers carries the gene for mottling, some of her chicks might show mottling. Otherwise, you should not get any mottled chicks.

Black chicks often look like little penguins, with black on their back and white or yellow on their bellies and a few other places. Mottled chicks often have less black and more white or yellow. Sometimes the difference is very obvious, but sometimes they look enough alike that you have to wait for them to grow feathers before you can be sure.

McMurray hatchery has images of Black Australorp chicks. They are showing an amount of black and white that is fairly typical for chicks that will grow up black with no mottling:
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/black_australorps.html
I thought that black chicks had white but she has a ton, here is a pic
16835560808228898189395225366096.jpg

I thought that black chicks had white but she has a ton, here is a picView attachment 3497471
I agree, that is a lot more white than is common on black chicks.

I don't know for sure-- it might be an unexpected effect of inheriting the mottling gene from just one parent (the father), or it might mean the chick is actually mottled (which is possible if the mother did carry the mottling gene, and passed it on to this chick.)

I agree, that is a lot more white than is common on black chicks.

I don't know for sure-- it might be an unexpected effect of inheriting the mottling gene from just one parent (the father), or it might mean the chick is actually mottled (which is possible if the mother did carry the mottling gene, and passed it on to this chick.)
The mother was from rural king and she is the blue OEGB but that would be great if I got a mottled baby lol

The mother was from rural king and she is the blue OEGB but that would be great if I got a mottled baby lol
In that case I would not expect the mother to carry mottling, because hatcheries tend to keep their OEGB sorted into single-color flocks. But sometimes a chicken will have unexpected genes, so I can't be positive either way.

I’ve been reading that the fawn duckwing is out of the silver duckwing so to say. I can’t remember the crossings the website said but it said something like if you breed a sport to a silver duckwing you’ll get 100% fawn. Is that true?
I’ve got a fawn, silver, and sport duckwing hens and recently bought a new fawn chick who is a roo. I plan on breed him to all three of my hens to produce fawns and silvers. Will the silver duckwing chicks hatched from the pairing carry fawn genes, will I be able to sell them as pure bred or purebred mixed color.

I’ve been reading that the fawn duckwing is out of the silver duckwing so to say. I can’t remember the crossings the website said but it said something like if you breed a sport to a silver duckwing you’ll get 100% fawn. Is that true?
I’ve got a fawn, silver, and sport duckwing hens and recently bought a new fawn chick who is a roo. I plan on breed him to all three of my hens to produce fawns and silvers. Will the silver duckwing chicks hatched from the pairing carry fawn genes, will I be able to sell them as pure bred or purebred mixed color.

Fawn Silver Duckwing is Silver Duckwing with a copy of the dun gene, a partially dominant dilution gene allelic to dominant white (I^d). Since the dun gene is partially dominant, if a bird has any copies of it, it expresses in some capacity. In other words, no, Silver Duckwing individuals out of Fawn Silver Duckwing parents are not carrying the gene, they simply did not inherit it and are pure Silver Duckwing. The gene behaves like the blue gene, in that a bird that inherits a blue gene is blue, there is no carrying of that gene and individuals out of Blue x Blue breedings are not mixed color.

The variety referred to as a 'sport' that comes out of Fawn SDW is actually just Khaki Silver Duckwing, two copies of the dun gene for the full dilution effect, similar to Splash out of Blue breedings. Breeding Khaki SDW (I^d/I^d) to regular SDW (i+/i+) will produce all Fawn SDW offspring (I^d/i+), just like breeding Splash (Bl/Bl) to Black (bl+/bl+) will produce all Blue offspring (Bl/bl+).

Back
Top Bottom