The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Here's an odd chick that hatched the other day

IMG_9585.JPG

IMG_9586.JPG

Ah, I'm seeing a similar earthy tone to those Platinum birds as with the Mauve birds. Lovely! :love I do think your bird is Lavender, though.
Sorry :oops:, but if my hen is lavender what color bids should I expect to get from pairing her to the fawn. I forgot I also had a porcelain oeb and what should I get breeding her to the fawn. Will there be any chicks from either pairing that will hatch out pure color? Thanks. I appreciate your help!

None of those chicks will be pure for a specific variety, no.

With the Lavender hen (assuming she is Lavender and not Blue Lavender as RAA suggested), it's essentially the same as crossing a solid Black bird to a duckwing bird; what you'll end up with is mostly black or brown chicks (depending on if they inherit dun or not, an equal chance that they will or won't) that develop varying amounts of color leakage as they feather in. The leaked color depends on whether the Lavender hen has gold or silver at the locus for those genes, but it should be silver leakage for all pullets produced and either silver for the cockerels as well, or yellowish from inheriting one copy of gold and one of silver. Lavender is recessive, so all chicks will carry lavender without expressing it as well.

I am assuming that Porcelain in OEGBs is the same as Porcelain in d'Uccles based on the pictures I'm pulling up when I search for Porcelain OEGBs. If that is the case, then I believe the offspring will have a Columbian-like pattern, silver for the pullets produced and yellowish for the cockerels produced. They will not be sexable at hatch by this because the cockerels will look silver at hatch and later feather in with yellowish tones. Again, equal numbers will inherit dun as will not, so half will have brown markings and half will have black markings. Since the mottling and lavender genes that the Porcelain parent has are both recessive, they're carried by all offspring but not expressed.
Edited for a slight correction on wording!

Last edited:
None of those chicks will be pure for a specific variety, no.

With the Lavender hen (assuming she is Lavender and not Blue Lavender as RAA suggested), it's essentially the same as crossing a solid Black bird to a duckwing bird; what you'll end up with is mostly black or brown chicks (depending on if they inherit dun or not, an equal chance that they will or won't) that develop varying amounts of color leakage as they feather in. The leaked color depends on whether the Lavender hen has gold or silver at the allele for those genes, but it should be silver leakage for all pullets produced and either silver for the cockerels as well, or yellowish from inheriting one copy of gold and one of silver.

I am assuming that Porcelain in OEGBs is the same as Porcelain in d'Uccles based on the pictures I'm pulling up when I search for Porcelain OEGBs. If that is the case, then I believe the offspring will have a Columbian-like pattern, silver for the pullets produced and yellowish for the cockerels produced. They will not be sexable at hatch by this because the cockerels will look silver at hatch and later feather in with yellowish tones. Again, equal numbers will inherit dun as will not, so half will have brown markings and half will have black markings. Since the mottling and lavender genes that the Porcelain parent has are both recessive, they're carried by all offspring but not expressed.
Thanks!

S/s+ day old chicks are indistinguishable from S/S males...
What about at 3days, I could see the difference in the ones I purchased from Cackle. The pure silver was lighter color than the Goldens, I can even see the difference in them from my own hatch. Granted not till they fluffed up. And the silvers are only a smidge lighter.

Back
Top Bottom