The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Sexlinks utilizing that gene require that you cross a gold male (s+/s+) to a silver female (S/-). Since silver is a sexlinked gene, the female can only pass that S on to her sons, who also inherit a gold gene s+ from their father making them S/s+ and appearing silver at hatch. Her daughters will inherit the W chromosome without the gene from her, -, and a gold gene from their father, s+, making them s+/- or gold. These are easily distinguishable at hatch assuming all other genes allow for the trait to be visible.

With the opposite cross, silver male (S/S) to gold female (s+/-), you end up with S/s+ sons who look silver at hatch, and S/- daughters who are silver.

Isn't that how gold and silver sexlinks are made? My partridge silkie sexlinks are very obvious at hatch
With gold/silver sexlinks, you are sorting s+/_ females from S/s+ males.

The recent discussion is about whether S/s+ males look the same as S/S males at hatch. So a silver vs. silver-carries-gold sorting, not the usual silver vs. gold sorting.

When someone talks about "golden" males, I always have to look several times to be sure whether they really mean gold (s+/s+) or silver carrying gold (S/s+).

With gold/silver sexlinks, you are sorting s+/_ females from S/s+ males.

The recent discussion is about whether S/s+ males look the same as S/S males at hatch. So a silver vs. silver-carries-gold sorting, not the usual silver vs. gold sorting.

When someone talks about "golden" males, I always have to look several times to be sure whether they really mean gold (s+/s+) or silver carrying gold (S/s+).
Ahhh, okay. That's where I was getting stuck, thanks

Has there been any real research into the effects of lav/lav ig/ig genes? Are they epistatic? hypostatic? Or is there any anecdotal evidence? i.e. are the dilution effects cumulative? The only breed of chicken I know with both genes are the opal legbars. It's clear from looking at them that the lav gene dilutes the eumelanine to self-blue but my question is whether the two diluters have a double effect on the pheomelanine. Is it 2x the effects of one diluter or do they have different amount of dilution? The only instance of a supposed lav/lav ig/ig bird I have found is on a d'Anvers, besides opal legbars. The legbars are difficult to assess because of all the genetics involved and disruption of the pattern.

Attachments

• Lemon-pearl grey columbia.jpg
    Lemon-pearl grey columbia.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
What is odd about it? Something you didn't expect from those parents?
It has both a dark beak and light legs. I've never had a chick with that contrast before. Usually if a chick has both fibromelanotic and inhibitor of dermal melanin one of those genes will override the other. Either the chick has a light beak and legs and hides the fibromelanotic, or the fibromelanotic is stronger and hides the inhibitor.

Has there been any real research into the effects of lav/lav ig/ig genes? Are they epistatic? hypostatic? Or is there any anecdotal evidence? i.e. are the dilution effects cumulative? The only breed of chicken I know with both genes are the opal legbars. It's clear from looking at them that the lav gene dilutes the eumelanine to self-blue but my question is whether the two diluters have a double effect on the pheomelanine. Is it 2x the effects of one diluter or do they have different amount of dilution? The only instance of a supposed lav/lav ig/ig bird I have found is on a d'Anvers.
Lavender affects pheomelanin but cream has no effect on eumelanin.

It has both a dark beak and light legs. I've never had a chick with that contrast before. Usually if a chick has both fibromelanotic and inhibitor of dermal melanin one of those genes will override the other. Either the chick has a light beak and legs and hides the fibromelanotic, or the fibromelanotic is stronger and hides the inhibitor.
Now that you point it out, I agree that is odd. I'm not sure why I didn't notice it the first time I looked at the photos. I don't know what is causing it, but it is definitely interesting to see.

Back
Top Bottom