The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Yokohama is one of the other longtails. It has a pea comb and yellow legs so that could be the cross. I almost went with them for my longtail EE project but wanted to keep slate legs so I ruled them out.
You could have used slate shank male over a Yokohama female and 100% of the hens will inherit slate shanks

Pictures please. As far as I am aware there is no Partridge eb allele on Marans, just Extended black(BBS/Cuckoo), Birchen(Birchen and Black Copper) and Wheaten(Wheaten and Black Tail), so I find this very unusual
Golden salmon Marans have partridge like chicks. They don't have the EB allele, they're wild type in the E allele (e+/e+).

From what I read both parents could be heterozygous (ER/e+) but I'm not sure.

The breeder from where the eggs came said that it was the first time that one hatched like this. And I personally saw the eggs being collected from a closed pen, so I know they're Marans and not a cross.

Attachments

• IMG_20230427_073125.jpg
    IMG_20230427_073125.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
How would you create new color varieties of Dominiques?
To create other colors, you would cross a Dominique with a chicken of the other color. Then take the crossed chicks and breed them to each other, or back to Dominique, or back to the other breed. Use various combinations of those patterns until you have chickens with the correct color, with all other traits being correct for Dominiques, and they breed true (breeding them together gives more of the same, not a mix of traits.) This is the basic way to create new colors in any breed of chicken.

Wyandottes have some traits in common with Dominiques (dual purpose, rose comb, yellow legs, brown eggs). If you make other colors of Dominiques, people may think they are Wyandottes instead.

How would the colors and the barring react?
The barring gene puts white bars over whatever other colors the chicken has. Some examples of barring over various colors would include Rhodebar, Delaware, Cream Legbar, Bielefelder.

Would a Plymouth Rock be the best option to create new varieties of Dominiques?
Yes, Plymouth Rocks might be a good choice for introducing other colors. Wyandottes might also be a good choice.

I would do a Black Dominique, pretty easy ti accomplish.
That does seem like a rather simple thing to accomplish. It would be pretty too.
To create other colors, you would cross a Dominique with a chicken of the other color. Then take the crossed chicks and breed them to each other, or back to Dominique, or back to the other breed. Use various combinations of those patterns until you have chickens with the correct color, with all other traits being correct for Dominiques, and they breed true (breeding them together gives more of the same, not a mix of traits.) This is the basic way to create new colors in any breed of chicken.

Wyandottes have some traits in common with Dominiques (dual purpose, rose comb, yellow legs, brown eggs). If you make other colors of Dominiques, people may think they are Wyandottes instead.

The barring gene puts white bars over whatever other colors the chicken has. Some examples of barring over various colors would include Rhodebar, Delaware, Cream Legbar, Bielefelder.

Yes, Plymouth Rocks might be a good choice for introducing other colors. Wyandottes might also be a good choice.
I didn't realize they shared that much in common, maybe I could use both breeds, and I could create a single combed Dominique, unless that is just a Barred rock. So I would be able to make an auto-sexing color strain of the Dominique? Would I be able to introduce some genes from Europeans auto-sexing breeds , and implement those colors into the Dominiques, and simultaneously introduce the rose comb into these breeds? Sorry if this is too much.

I could create a single combed Dominique, unless that is just a Barred rock.
I think a single-combed Dominique would be pretty much identical to a Barred Rock.

So I would be able to make an auto-sexing color strain of the Dominique? Would I be able to introduce some genes from Europeans auto-sexing breeds , and implement those colors into the Dominiques, and simultaneously introduce the rose comb into these breeds?
You mean like the autosexing in Cream Legbars and Bielefelders? Yes, you could do that.

Back
Top Bottom