The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

I hatched a chick that I suspect is a Denizili Long crower. How should I expect crosses of this breed to crow?

The breeder I ordered from has Laughing Chickens, Sanjak Long Crowers, Denizili Long Crowers, & Malays all in separate breeding pens. Just some extra info.

The chicks would be a mix.

This is still a sex-linked pairing, with a barred hen and not-barred rooster. The sons will inherit barring, and the daughters will not. That will be easy to spot on the black-based chicks, but not so easy on other colors of chicks.

I would expect about half of the chicks to have a black base color (like Barred Rocks or Black Sexlnks do), with the others showing some brown & black (like Rhode Island Red or Bielefelder), or possibly having a white & black pattern (maybe similar to Delawares.)

For the hen, which breed was her father, and which breed was her mother?
The hen was a barred rock the rooster was belifelder

So the black one would be auto sexing?

So the black one would be auto sexing?

The black chicks would be sexlinks, not autosexing.

The difference: sexlinks are from specific crosses, autosexing breeds true.

Sexlinks requires a father and mother that are different from each other, and the chicks cannot be used to produce sexlinks the next year. In this case, barred mother and not-barred father makes sons that are barred like their mother and daughters that are not-barred like their father. The sexable chicks are backwards of their parents, so they are not right to produce that kind of chicks the next year.

Autosexing works with pure breeds. For example: Cream Legbar hen x Cream Legbar rooster = autosexing Cream Legbar chicks. Breed those chicks, and their chicks will also be autosexing Cream Legbars. You can keep it going forever.

The hen was a barred rock the rooster was belifelder
In that case, the not-black chicks will have gold colors, not silver. The gold/silver genes are on the Z sex chromosome, which a hen inherits only from her father. So the daughter of a Bielefelder rooster is genetically gold and that is what she can pass on to her own chicks (even if she herself looks black).

Just wanted to update, & let you know my first Ayam Ketawa cross has hatched. Waiting on 2 more to hatch on the 15th.
Also, currently unsure who the daddy is. Will update on that.

@nicalandia I know you were curious on how the cross crows, if I remember correctly?

Last edited:
The black chicks would be sexlinks, not autosexing.

The difference: sexlinks are from specific crosses, autosexing breeds true.

Sexlinks requires a father and mother that are different from each other, and the chicks cannot be used to produce sexlinks the next year. In this case, barred mother and not-barred father makes sons that are barred like their mother and daughters that are not-barred like their father. The sexable chicks are backwards of their parents, so they are not right to produce that kind of chicks the next year.

Autosexing works with pure breeds. For example: Cream Legbar hen x Cream Legbar rooster = autosexing Cream Legbar chicks. Breed those chicks, and their chicks will also be autosexing Cream Legbars. You can keep it going forever.

In that case, the not-black chicks will have gold colors, not silver. The gold/silver genes are on the Z sex chromosome, which a hen inherits only from her father. So the daughter of a Bielefelder rooster is genetically gold and that is what she can pass on to her own chicks (even if she herself looks black).
Okay thanks

Back
Top Bottom