The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

The Jungle Fowl and OEGB/Phoenix mix could all possibly be the father based on that the chick is clean-legged and has dark shanks.

A Silver Duckwing OEGB should be pure for light skin and I believe would make a light-shanked chick, so most likely he is not the father. However, if he's hatchery stock, I have seen cases where some were not pure for that gene, so there is a chance there. His age makes it less likely, but who knows!

The rest should have other dominant traits I'd expect to see in their offspring, so are probably not the father.

If the air cells look large, they should be fine. They may be in the stage called 'draw down' which is where the air cell suddenly gets bigger because it draws down over the chick as it pushes up into the air cell to internally pip. Hopefully you see pips and chicks soon! :fl
I saw 2 of them move and heard peeping from one! I only have 6 so hoping they all hatch but a few would be better than nothing.. because I heard peeping I decided not to open and check cells.. will be patient and wait... thank you so much 💞

Question.
How rare/common is parthenogenesis in chickens? My Sumatra rooster has been gone for a year now, & I hatched out what looks to be a pure Sumatra chick. It even has 5 spur buds per leg.
Sorry bad lighting. It's 1½ weeks old currently. View attachment 3536468View attachment 3536470View attachment 3536475
Do you have any other chickens with multiple spurs? If so you could use that to determine at least one of the parents whether it's the hen or the rooster. If you don't have any multi-spur hens then it has to be a multi-spur rooster.

When I said white skin, I was meaning the Shanks. Had a hard time getting to sleep last night. Apologies.

Haven't gotten offspring from my OEGB Rooster this year, so I suspect he isn't fertile anymore. He's been breeding, but haven't produced offspring.

From the remaining 2 suspects, I should see some red leakage if they're the fathers, right?

It depends on if the chick is a pullet or cockerel and what the Sumatra hen is carrying at that locus. If a cockerel, you could see pale yellowish leakage if the mother is S/- or gold leakage if the mother is s+/-. If a pullet, then any leakage would be gold regardless of what the mother carries.

Do you have any other chickens with multiple spurs? If so you could use that to determine at least one of the parents whether it's the hen or the rooster. If you don't have any multi-spur hens then it has to be a multi-spur rooster.

The mother is a Sumatra so most likely the source of the multiple spurs. 🙂

My Sumatra hen has 5 spur buds per leg, & is currently growing spurs. My others are single spured.

It depends on if the chick is a pullet or cockerel and what the Sumatra hen is carrying at that locus. If a cockerel, you could see pale yellowish leakage if the mother is S/- or gold leakage if the mother is s+/-. If a pullet, then any leakage would be gold regardless of what the mother carries.

The mother is a Sumatra so most likely the source of the multiple spurs. 🙂
I'll keep an eye out for any leakage, will update if there's any.

Well, you don't mention the possible other fathers since the Sumatra rooster is gone, but pea combs, extended black, and multiple spurs are all dominant traits, so that doesn't seem like enough to me to jump right to parthenogenesis on this chick... 🤔
I agree. That hen has been out with other roosters, the chance of Parthenogenesis is 0.001%

Also the hen is Extended Black, that means that epidermal pigment is deposited on the chick shank regardless if its Sex Linked Id or id+ because those genes only control Dermal pigment deposition

Example: Black Sexlink chicks, Father is sex linked Id/Id(RIR), yet the pullets hatch with dark shanks

BSL Chick.png

Seriously though, how rare/common is parthenogenesis in chickens? Was my primary question.
Very rare.

For example, here's an article from 1968:
https://academic.oup.com/jhered/article-abstract/59/1/67/821031?
It references one researcher who found 3 developing eggs among 1022 unfertilized eggs.
Of those three, one chick hatched but only lived 8 days, one died on day 23 without hatching, and one died at 7 days incubation.
(That is on the first page of the article, which is all I can see.)

Back
Top Bottom