The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

I am going to start holding back and breeding my cream crested legbar x buff Orpington crosses in an attempt to make my own back yard breed.

How hard will it be to make them autosexing? What will the gen 2 crosses look like when they have 2 copies of the cream gene?

Any advice on breeding strategies or pitfalls to look out for with this cross is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 6735952B-79F1-4DB3-A344-8DFB73F6DB99.jpeg
    6735952B-79F1-4DB3-A344-8DFB73F6DB99.jpeg
    704.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 32D1E140-7A13-4A7C-8651-F05E4BB1B89D.jpeg
    32D1E140-7A13-4A7C-8651-F05E4BB1B89D.jpeg
    664.2 KB · Views: 14
@NatJ or @nicalandia

Questions about leakage. Can you identify what genetics are at issue for causing types of leakage? If it’s not significant leakage, are there ways to Target it in breeding to work it out of your birds? It seems to be the issue on males more often and in their hackles and saddle feathers…just curious to learn more about it. I know it’s incompleteness in their genes, but like with other types of issues, can they be bred out specifically by mating with a bird that looks a certain way? Or do you just need to breed and hope and select and cull?

C302212D-742B-4604-BF11-FBF9E235F3D8.jpeg

I have this really pretty splash boy and he’s very nice too…but he has ever so slight orangy brown in some of his saddle feathers and wings. It’s not a lot, so “maybe” he will molt them out? But I don’t want to create a massive problem in breeding by using him if it’s just a lost cause. My breeding is rather passive right now, as I don’t have space to be hard core—so I need to make really smart breeding choices if possible.

Thanks!

@NatJ or @nicalandia

Questions about leakage. Can you identify what genetics are at issue for causing types of leakage? If it’s not significant leakage, are there ways to Target it in breeding to work it out of your birds? It seems to be the issue on males more often and in their hackles and saddle feathers…just curious to learn more about it. I know it’s incompleteness in their genes, but like with other types of issues, can they be bred out specifically by mating with a bird that looks a certain way? Or do you just need to breed and hope and select and cull?

View attachment 3587575
I have this really pretty splash boy and he’s very nice too…but he has ever so slight orangy brown in some of his saddle feathers and wings. It’s not a lot, so “maybe” he will molt them out? But I don’t want to create a massive problem in breeding by using him if it’s just a lost cause. My breeding is rather passive right now, as I don’t have space to be hard core—so I need to make really smart breeding choices if possible.

Thanks!
I'm sorry, I don't really know what specific genes are involved in leakage.

@NatJ or @nicalandia

View attachment 3587575

Thanks!
That type of leakage can be bred out by introducing non leakage speciments to the flock or by breeding males that dont leak with their mother or sisters

That type of leakage can be bred out by introducing non leakage speciments to the flock or by breeding males that dont leak with their mother or sisters
Okay, he has a really nicely laced blue sister, so that would be a good choice? I wasn’t sure I should mate brother and sister. Would it be better to mate him with a nice black pullet I have from a different line? Or is sister better? Thank you!

Okay, he has a really nicely laced blue sister, so that would be a good choice? I wasn’t sure I should mate brother and sister. Would it be better to mate him with a nice black pullet I have from a different line? Or is sister better? Thank you!
In this case his sister is no good because likely she is a leaket. Only breed non leaking birds

Quick question, how do you know if either or both parents are recessive white or dominant white? Sorry still trying to learn Silkie genetics. I’m trying a make my own line of paint, white, and black show girls. I’m breeding my bantam paint Nn hen to my White Silkie rooster. Also will any other colors pop up when I breed my white silkies if one or both are recessive white? Thanks

Quick question, how do you know if either or both parents are recessive white or dominant white? Sorry still trying to learn Silkie genetics. I’m trying a make my own line of paint, white, and black show girls. I’m breeding my bantam paint Nn hen to my White Silkie rooster. Also will any other colors pop up when I breed my white silkies if one or both are recessive white? Thanks
Its highly likely that your white rooster is recessive white. When crossed to paint 50% of chicks will hatch black and 50% paint

Back
Top Bottom