The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Blue or splash? *edit* I asked this question and then realized how silly it is. She is ticked, lots of tiny black flecks in her feathers. Zoom in some for why I'm asking. She is Blue Ameraucana/ Silver Spangled Spitzhauben.

20230906_183520.jpg

20230906_183432.jpg

Blue or splash? *edit* I asked this question and then realized how silly it is. She is ticked, lots of tiny black flecks in her feathers. Zoom in some for why I'm asking. She is Blue Ameraucana/ Silver Spangled Spitzhauben.

View attachment 3629703
View attachment 3629704
Blue
She couldn't be splash anyways with the silver Spitzhauben, but some blues have the black dots. I have an araucana like thar

View attachment 3629703
View attachment 3629704
I have some Yokohama/cemani crosses like that. Blue with random flecks of black. Does anyone know what causes the black flecks?

Any tricks to breeding the bleeding out? Like with silver, I read that you get rid of red leakage by hen selection. Anything like that for blue?
No clue. I only have one hen with it, and I actually quite like it so I'm not focused on erasing it. But logic tells me that breeding her would probably help it stick around. I'm not sure if males can show it or not. Maybe @3KillerBs has encountered it with the australorps?

No clue. I only have one hen with it, and I actually quite like it so I'm not focused on erasing it. But logic tells me that breeding her would probably help it stick around. I'm not sure if males can show it or not. Maybe @3KillerBs has encountered it with the australorps?
I kinda like it too. Not sure what I want to do with my crossed birds...just curious what the possibilities are.

My blue Ameraucana don't have the ticking. It could be related to pateren maybe? Like with blue having issues turning the edging on rooster hackles and saddles.

Next question 🙋🏼‍♀️ this might be tougher so I’m tagging you haha @nicalandia or @NatJ.

I’m familiar with black down on babies, and trying to learn the proper down markings still…but this is a new one for me. I hatched this baby and I “think” it is a black marans momma crossed with my Olandsk Dwarf rooster (he seems to have the lead role in that run). I know since ODs are land race they can probably hide a bunch of weird genetics, and my Marans is a project marans that was supposed to be chocolate and came out black…that being said, what causes the down to have some white, some yellow, and some tan colored markings at hatch? I’ve not seen it before, so I’m curious! Is it normal and I’m just too new? Will any of the color remain? I’m in love with it! It’s so pretty 😍

02F1F62D-E13A-4E65-8988-79C80D58627E.jpeg

6D82E4E6-2B5B-47C2-9845-D5619B05E40C.jpeg

1AC47312-E382-40D0-8FDA-29B9FE98CF27.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom