The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Is that first hen a good possibility or does the red in wings and tail make it unlikely?

I would not expect that much red in the wings and tail of a hen with the silver gene. I would think she probably has the gold gene anyway.

But I could be wrong.

Maybe @nicalandia or someone else will chime in with an opinion on this.
Sorry to take so much of your time, but can I ask if the gold gene means s/- and if it means no effect on the color or, if in a hen, means there can be an effect?

I've been thinking hens are silver or not silver and I'm not sure I understand what gold means outside of a gold rooster with S/s.

Sorry to take so much of your time, but can I ask if the gold gene means s/- and if it means no effect on the color or, if in a hen, means there can be an effect?

I've been thinking hens are silver or not silver and I'm not sure I understand what gold means outside of a gold rooster with S/s.

Gold is the original wild-type gene. The + in the chicken calculator is to mark it as the wild-type, the original form found in the wild Jungle Fowl.

Silver is a mutation of that gene. Silver makes the chicken unable to produce gold (red) pigment. Or at least, it can't produce that pigment as well.

A chicken must have SOME gene at that spot on the Z chromosome. It never has an empty spot. So the hen has Silver, or the hen has gold, or the hen has some other mutation there.

Saying a hen is "not silver" is exactly the same thing as saying the hen is "gold."

(Actually, there is a gene for sex linked albinism that can be at that same locus on the chromosome, that is shown in some versions of the calculator, but I generally ignore that because most chickens just have silver or gold.)

...ask if the gold gene means s/- and if it means no effect on the color or, if in a hen, means there can be an effect?
If you think showing gold color is an "effect," then yes the gold gene has an effect. It lets the hen have gold color in her feathers.

What you consider normal in those hens is what happens when the hen has the gold gene.

I would like some help with figuring out what these serama colours could produce. The serama boy (picture one) has bred with this mix breed girl (picture two) and produced these chicks (photos three and four), if that helps you come up with potential genes the boy is carrying. So now, what could he produce paired with each one of these three serama pullets
20230903_184330.jpg
IMG-d101fe3b47012a9bb0516127ab3e3b3e-V.jpg
IMG-7075688c4158fb7d691faffb268d51ad-V.jpg
IMG-0b93a734a9d17ea7521b430d8e835cb1-V.jpg
Screenshot_20231029_213749_Gallery.jpg
20230904_151842.jpg
20230902_134925.jpg
?

Gold is the original wild-type gene. The + in the chicken calculator is to mark it as the wild-type, the original form found in the wild Jungle Fowl.

Silver is a mutation of that gene. Silver makes the chicken unable to produce gold (red) pigment. Or at least, it can't produce that pigment as well.

A chicken must have SOME gene at that spot on the Z chromosome. It never has an empty spot. So the hen has Silver, or the hen has gold, or the hen has some other mutation there.

Saying a hen is "not silver" is exactly the same thing as saying the hen is "gold."

(Actually, there is a gene for sex linked albinism that can be at that same locus on the chromosome, that is shown in some versions of the calculator, but I generally ignore that because most chickens just have silver or gold.)

If you think showing gold color is an "effect," then yes the gold gene has an effect. It lets the hen have gold color in her feathers.

What you consider normal in those hens is what happens when the hen has the gold gene.
Gotcha! I don't have any birds missing gold except that trio. So wondering at this point if most my birds carry mahogany and maybe something else thats changing the look enough to mask silver very very well. Maybe what I should be looking for is which birds lack mahogany and those are the ones to let go of.

I'll try that one hen to the one silver roo and see if I can get another obviously silver hen. Just because she's the closest to lacking red. If it's not her, then both roos must be gold and the original boy is probably my only bird carrying silver.

Thanks so much... you've been a tremendous help!

Editing to say I need that breeding to produce definitely silver roos to tell me if she carries silver!

Editing again to say: I just did the punnet square and to tell me if that hen is silver, I need to breed an S/s or s/s rooster to her. Think I finally got it right?

Last edited:
@NatJ Finally got to spend enough time staring at my girls to tentatively think maybe I have it. I have a blue girl with an almost all blue/white stripe down her back and her sides are the same. She does have red in her wings and tail though. Her head is also all black and white, where as most have red and white heads

This is her.
View attachment 3694739View attachment 3694741

Here's a picture of a similar pale hen but with some red in her back and this one has even more red in her sides and red in her head View attachment 3694743

And here's a dark hen from a blue breeding. Not sure if she actually carries blue because she's very dark, but her sides have a lot of grey so think she's dark blue. Definitely from a blue breeding though. Her color distribution is what most my hens have.View attachment 3694747

Is that first hen a good possibility for silver, or does the red in wings and tail make it unlikely?
The first hen in your pictures here might be silver. It's so hard to tell with mottled and spangled birds what the base colors are because of all the white noise of the mottleing.

I would like some help with figuring out what these serama colours could produce. The serama boy (picture one) has bred with this mix breed girl (picture two) and produced these chicks (photos three and four), if that helps you come up with potential genes the boy is carrying. So now, what could he produce paired with each one of these three serama pulletsView attachment 3694791View attachment 3694792View attachment 3694793View attachment 3694794View attachment 3694795View attachment 3694797View attachment 3694798?

Thought I should add. The EAP SOP lists the colour of the last serama pullet as gold wheaten, and the first serama pullet as creamy wheat. I really don't know anything about colour genetics, so I'd greatly appreciate any help

Back
Top Bottom