The Bachelor Duck! :(

livysmama

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 27, 2014
We have 6 laying hens and adopted a pair of ducklings last year. I went out to feed today and my drake and gal didn't come out. He was in their bed and calling out very loudly. I went over and found her laying in a natural position, but dead. I took her away to bury her, but he is still looking around for her. I feel so bad for him. I know he is friendly with the hens I have, but is having friendly companionship enough? It is also getting cooler and I don't want him not having anyone to cuddle with and freezing. I know they are very emotional birds and don't want to lose him, too. Will he be able to survive alone or should I be looking for a new domestic home for him? Help!!

veronicasmom

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
He definitely needs another duck friend. If he tries to mate with the hens, that might be dangerous for them. I think he'd be much much happier with another girl or even better, two.
I am sorry for your loss.

livysmama

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 27, 2014
I am trying to either find someone who could take him in with other females or to find a female that is domesticated, locally. This is much harder to do than I imagined. I am in NC and it doesn't seem like there are many people with ducks around. :(

Amiga

Overrun with Runners
Jan 3, 2010
Southern New England
I am trying to either find someone who could take him in with other females or to find a female that is domesticated, locally. This is much harder to do than I imagined. I am in NC and it doesn't seem like there are many people with ducks around.
sad.png
@livysmama, what part of NC? I am asking around.

Top Bottom