1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Bachelor Duck! :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by livysmama, Sep 27, 2014.

1. livysmama

livysmama New Egg

Sep 27, 2014
    We have 6 laying hens and adopted a pair of ducklings last year. I went out to feed today and my drake and gal didn't come out. He was in their bed and calling out very loudly. I went over and found her laying in a natural position, but dead. I took her away to bury her, but he is still looking around for her. I feel so bad for him. I know he is friendly with the hens I have, but is having friendly companionship enough? It is also getting cooler and I don't want him not having anyone to cuddle with and freezing. I know they are very emotional birds and don't want to lose him, too. Will he be able to survive alone or should I be looking for a new domestic home for him? Help!!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would be looking for a way for him to be with another duck. Sad for your loss.

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    He definitely needs another duck friend. If he tries to mate with the hens, that might be dangerous for them. I think he'd be much much happier with another girl or even better, two.
    I am sorry for your loss.

4. livysmama

livysmama New Egg

Sep 27, 2014
    I am trying to either find someone who could take him in with other females or to find a female that is domesticated, locally. This is much harder to do than I imagined. I am in NC and it doesn't seem like there are many people with ducks around. :(

5. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
  6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @livysmama, what part of NC? I am asking around.

7. livysmama

livysmama New Egg

Sep 27, 2014
    Harnett County. Between Fayetteville and Raleigh.

8. Sfraker

Sfraker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    Check out the Carolina Waterfowl Rescue. It is a ways away but you may be able to find someone to help drive a duck part way to you.
    http://www.carolinawaterfowlrescue.com/

They just recently posted that they are full and are looking for more adopters to make space to help more birds.

1 person likes this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Go to the thread "where am I where are you" look up NC there are quite a lot of folks from your neck of NC that have ducks.

10. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I am sorry for your loss. I hope you find him a friend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by