The Bachelor Duck! :(

livysmama

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 27, 2014
We have 6 laying hens and adopted a pair of ducklings last year. I went out to feed today and my drake and gal didn't come out. He was in their bed and calling out very loudly. I went over and found her laying in a natural position, but dead. I took her away to bury her, but he is still looking around for her. I feel so bad for him. I know he is friendly with the hens I have, but is having friendly companionship enough? It is also getting cooler and I don't want him not having anyone to cuddle with and freezing. I know they are very emotional birds and don't want to lose him, too. Will he be able to survive alone or should I be looking for a new domestic home for him? Help!!

He definitely needs another duck friend. If he tries to mate with the hens, that might be dangerous for them. I think he'd be much much happier with another girl or even better, two.
I am sorry for your loss.

I am trying to either find someone who could take him in with other females or to find a female that is domesticated, locally. This is much harder to do than I imagined. I am in NC and it doesn't seem like there are many people with ducks around. :(

I am trying to either find someone who could take him in with other females or to find a female that is domesticated, locally. This is much harder to do than I imagined. I am in NC and it doesn't seem like there are many people with ducks around.
sad.png
@livysmama, what part of NC? I am asking around.

Back
Top Bottom