The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

I received 10 beautifully packaged, completely undamaged BBS eggs from @tkay6205 today.

They're resting now and will go into the incy tonight!

I hatched one sweet little chocolate bantam that was a week old yesterday. Sweetest, most adorable little chick ever! But she (fingers crossed!) seems to be feathering really slowly. I remember my standard buffs feathering much quicker. Can anyone tell me, is the slow feathering due to color or size? Thank you!

Goldie is such a sweetie, she is about 19 weeks old. We just love her
love.gif

Very cute, but she doesn't look much like an Orpington!

Thank you, it is possible she is not but this is the breed everyone suggested she was. She was bought at TSC as asst. straight run bantams. It does not matter to us what she is, we love her no matter what. It would be nice to know, just to know though.

Thank you, it is possible she is not but this is the breed everyone suggested she was. She was bought at TSC as asst. straight run bantams. It does not matter to us what she is, we love her no matter what. It would be nice to know, just to know though.
Is she really small? She looks kind of like an Old English Game bantam, without a high tail set! I have some OEGB and they make excellent, friendly pets
smile.png
Or, she really does look like a single comb bantam Nankin, which are rare (she doesn't have the dark tips to her tail feathers, but I don't image all have this characteristic, especially coming from a hatchery.)

Is she really small? She looks kind of like an Old English Game bantam, without a high tail set! I have some OEGB and they make excellent, friendly pets
smile.png
Or, she really does look like a single comb bantam Nankin, which are rare (she doesn't have the dark tips to her tail feathers, but I don't image all have this characteristic, especially coming from a hatchery.)

She was always smaller then my other two OEGB hens the same age but recently she has taken a growth spurt and is bigger then both. In the first pic of her you can see one of my OEGB hens behind her. I also thought maybe nanikin before I got suggestions that she was Orpington. Maybe as she matures it will be more clear. Thank you again

Behavior question:

This is my first experience with any bantam, & only one bantam egg hatched. The little 8 wk old female has spunk & never seems to notice she's smaller. She's so cute, but very "flappy". Most of the chicks can be scooped up with one hand. Their wings stay still, they're always docile, & they love to cuddle. The bantam doesn't seem to like the same hold. She flaps or squirms, then sits on an arm, shoulder or knee rather than be held. She also rarely comes when called. When compared to full-sized Orpingtons, are the smaller birds a lot more active or is this just a case of individualism? Does anyone else have a bantam Orp that thinks she's a parrot?

It has been my experience the behavior and/or temperament of a bantam vs large fowl of any breed isn't the same. They are different critters.

Back
Top Bottom