The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

WE HAVE CHICKS!

So far, the broody has once again been faster than the incubator. (Eggs from the same source were set at the same time. Only 1 pip inside incubator & most of Cookie's eggs have hatched.) I cannot tell exactly what hatched yet, but one looks like a silkie. Of course the goal is to find out which has the higher hate rate, so I don't want to mess around with her until all the eggs are done hatching. Tomorrow is supposed to be the hatch day.

It's going to be a crazy assortment: Barnevelders, Marans, LF Cochin, Sebrights, Silkies, Easter Eggers, & Olive Egger. (Basically, I bought whatever was available locally.) Princess Lay-a is patiently waiting for her golf balls to hatch. She's even "talking" to them. I'm definitely going to give her a few incubator chicks when they hatch.

YAY!!!!! Go Cookie!!! The babies are precious!!

The vision of Princess Lay-a "talking" to her golf balls made me chuckle.
smile.png

YAY!!!!! Go Cookie!!! The babies are precious!!

The vision of Princess Lay-a "talking" to her golf balls made me chuckle.
smile.png
Today has been all about "chuckles."
Besides all the chicks, we have monarch butterflies, black swallowtail butterflies, tadpoles, & praying mantises hatching.
(My daughter chose to do many science projects for 4H & everything is hatching NOW!)

Then my preschooler discovered the joy of picking & pitting cherries today. My kitchen is covered in so much red it looks like a horrific crime scene.
ep.gif
lau.gif
Oh well. He's certainly having fun. Looks like a cherry pie will be on the menu tonight. (It's not like I have any other work to do today.....)

I am getting 2 bantam orpingtons soon (with 2 LF brahmas) and am hoping they will get along. Both breeds are supposed to be pretty sweet, and I have read that brahmas are good with other breeds. I can't wait until we get them. Just thought I'd add, although I don't really have anything interesting to say.
smile.png

I am getting 2 bantam orpingtons soon (with 2 LF brahmas) and am hoping they will get along. Both breeds are supposed to be pretty sweet, and I have read that brahmas are good with other breeds. I can't wait until we get them. Just thought I'd add, although I don't really have anything interesting to say.
smile.png
And wow I just realized that there are actually 186 pages of this.
big_smile.png

smile.png
Our bantam orp has a very BIG personality. If the chicks are raised together, I doubt you'll have any issues.

I just realized that the place we are getting them from will only let us get bantams if we order 15 chicks. 3 problems with that. 1, we are getting pullets, 2, in our area we are only allowed to own 6 chickens
he.gif
and 3, we are only getting 4 chickens, 2 brahmas and now, 2 barred rocks. Sadly, no orps. I am still looking forward to the barred rocks and brahmas, though. Thanks anyway.

Cookie Update:
6 out of 7 eggs hatched, but today is the official hatch date. There's still a chance for 100%. The last egg is a dark, thick shelled, Maran egg, so there's also a chance of nothing. (I never could see into it when candling.)

Incubator:
3 chicks hatched last night. Many eggs still without pips. Looks like it could be a long 24 hrs!

DD has quickly fallen in love with a white silkie of Cookie's. She's already held it a few times & talks of chick-napping it away from Cookie. LOL Not sure what I think of owning a silkie. I heard white silkies are hawk magnets. Does anyone here own a silkie?

I just realized that the place we are getting them from will only let us get bantams if we order 15 chicks. 3 problems with that. 1, we are getting pullets, 2, in our area we are only allowed to own 6 chickens
he.gif
and 3, we are only getting 4 chickens, 2 brahmas and now, 2 barred rocks. Sadly, no orps. I am still looking forward to the barred rocks and brahmas, though. Thanks anyway.
Have you tried looking into a local BYC thread? You may be able to buy what you want from a breeder rather than a hatchery. No shipping charges or min order to deal with. IMO- the quality is also better. My hens are very healthy - even the "mutts" keep laying year after year.

I just realized that the place we are getting them from will only let us get bantams if we order 15 chicks. 3 problems with that. 1, we are getting pullets, 2, in our area we are only allowed to own 6 chickens :he  and 3, we are only getting 4 chickens, 2 brahmas and now, 2 barred rocks. Sadly, no orps. I am still looking forward to the barred rocks and brahmas, though. Thanks anyway. 

Unfortunately, I'm only in 6th grade and I can't move or anything. I am the one who is doing all the research and that kind of stuff (like paying for everything) and I have to work with what I have.

Unfortunately, I'm only in 6th grade and I can't move or anything. I am the one who is doing all the research and that kind of stuff (like paying for everything) and I have to work with what I have.
As a middle school kid, I bet you'll have a science fair in your near future. Hatching your own eggs is a great learning experience & your parents may be willing to help you purchase the fertile eggs.

My own daughter did an experiment last year about comparing the hate rates of fertile eggs (shipped vs. local). She ended up winning a blue ribbon, Class Champion, & Best in Show for her project. It's funny how she picked up my own hatching addiction & decided to once again base her project on incubation again this year. (It's a way she's guaranteed to get more chicks passed Daddy - smart girl!
wink.png
) The biggest downside of hatching your own is being prepared to give away the roos. No names until they're well over 6 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom