The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

Pics
No, no pics yet...have to finish getting my camera back in gear, then I can post some.

These two ladies are probably 25-35% larger than the other hens; I know that the d'Anvers is one heck of a momma and made very sure that they (her only two that clutch to hatch) were eating constantly....

What should they weigh?

Thanks!

Hoping someone took some pictures at Crossroads and could share with us
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Tricia, I am meeting up with Kelly (Hannah's mom) to pick up my babies this morning. I'll take pictures of them in their quarantine hut, lol.

Quote:
From what I understand the bantam gene is recessive so I doubt you would get a throwback. Do you have a pic of how large they are?

I would think that size would be polygenetic and a little more hard to predict, not so cut and dry as a autosumal recessive.

The American Orpington Bantam was downsized or bred down from the large fowl. Size has always been an issue. I spoke with J. Ralph Brazelton some years ago (about 1982-83) about how they developed the Orp Bantams. Ralph was one of the developers. They did not want to import any from overseas. So just bred them down. Had a male Buff disqualified years ago at Shawnee, OK show. Size. He weighed in just over 3#.

We as breeders MUST start weighing our Orpington Bantams and culling heavy any that are over size. We preserve our breed by eating them. Some of the birds at Crossroads were larger than they should have been. This seems to be more in the Blacks, Blues and Splashes than in the Buff and white. Just my observation. We plan on culling heavy this year.

With the new UK colors coming in, and the UK Orp Bantam is a bit larger, we will have to really watch them on size. Not saying to not use the new colors, just know that we must meet our Standard if you wish to be a winner in the showroom.

In my personal experience, Buff Orpington bantams that weigh over 3# make wonderful tasty dumplins!

In the breeding pen the scale may be one of our best friends. We must breed them to the Standard, no matter what good point we see. Just because their type is great or they have the head we have searched for, we must consider the overall bird in our breeding pens. Sometimes fewer is better. Keeping only the top 5% can get us closer to the Stanadrd than keeping the top 25%. Brazelton culled heavy and ate his culls. He seldom ever lost to anyone! I was a "victim" of his birds, having lost to two of his birds at an ABA National in Shawnee years ago. I placed 3rd with a male Buff Orpington Bantam and he sold me the Reserve Breed pullet. Sure raised soem nice birds out of them!

Here is the Champion Orpington Bantam of the Crossroads Junior Show. The bird was exhibited by Ethan Graves of Arkansas. Bred by Majestic Lane Poultry of West Virginia. The bird is now owned by Hall Family Poultry of Arkansas.

47716_champion_orp_bntm_jr_crossroads.jpg

Last edited:
You made some awesome points and I back the 'make darn sure that what you breed is worth using', as I've learned in my years of rabbits!

But....I'm now confused. That photo doesn't look anything like what I"ve been seeing as Bantam Orpingtons--so can we talk type for a bit?

I was told by the previous breeder of my birds (who was well known and did very well at shows, apparently, but darned if I can recall her name!) that I should be looking for a 'gravy boat' shaped bird; and all of my BO's have tails which tend to come out and gracefully curve downward just slightly, like the lip of a gravy boat. Wish I could post pics! I'll try privately to Jim....

What *should* I be looking for, and what are the most common pitfalls?

Thanks, all!

Quote:
The egg is large for a Bantam. We consider them a fair layer. They will go broody and make exceellent mothers. Not flighty or nervous. Best breed for youth. Nicole (6) loves hers.

As for what to pick for breeders. If in doubt, take them to a show and ask the judge. Some "hatcheries" like Metzer Farms will hire a judge to come out and evaluate their birds. Locate a licensed judge near you and offer to pay them to judge your birds. At least pay their expense and provide a meal. Hold a backyard show. Informal. Hire a judge to judge and give certificates for the winners.

I know some new BYC members can't post photos yet on BYC. Post on FB and send me a private request. Would be happy to assist. Though I am not a judge, I have bred and shown Orpingtons in Bantams and Large Fowl since 1979. The ones we have now are the best we have ever had. Not as good as some, but the best we have had. We will be showing Displays of both Bantams and Large Fowl Orpingtons next year. May even do the fair circuit a bit.

Common pitfall is saving and breeding an Orp Bantam that is too large. SOP calls for Cock 38oz, Hen 34 oz, Cockerel 34 oz and a Pullet 30 oz. use a digital kitchen scale and a basket. Anything over 40oz should be culled. If you do not have a Standard of Perfection (SOP) buy one. Never breed from a bantam in any breed that is large or small for the breed.

Find a mentor near you and learn from them.

We took a lovely Black Orpington Bantam pair in on partial trade for the backyard coop we entered in our county fair. Unfortuantely last week the cockerel escaped and last he was seen, he was running across the street and into the woods. Seems he did not like his wife or something. We went ahead and took the pullet to Crossroads, as Ethan had it entered. With all the predators, the cockerel most likely did not last the night.

Juliechick called me this afternoon. Guess who decided he was lonely and wanted to come home? Yep! The Black Orp Bantam cockerel came home. A bit muddy, but healthy and happy. He is now at our place with a lovely little Dick Hortsman Blue and a Splash Orpington Bantam hens. So far no complaints! The Black pullet is mated to our Splash male.

Good to know they are fair layers of decent sized eggs. I love bantams ( OEGBs are my favorite chicken) but want decent sized eggs for eating. I'd like to replace my EEs next year with some type of bantams, preferably a bantam that is a decent layer of medium eggs.
I wish bantams could be purchased sexed. That's the only thing that keeps me from buying a lot of bantam chicks.
Oh, how are the bantam orps in extreme heat? I mean in 115-120 degree heat? I've selected all of my breeds for heat tolerance and had no losses from heat this year, unlike many AZ BYCers. The heat is brutal for chickens in AZ. I have a fully shaded pen and coop, wading pans and will be adding a misting system next year but no swamp cooler/AC, unlike some AZ chicken keepers.

Jim, please notice that this pullet is from my lines, not Tricia's. Confirming posts...#231, #437, and so on. Thanks

Quote:
Were these from the eggs I swapped you?

Edited to say: Yes! They came from you. I found where I had posted chick pics and said they came from your eggs.

Back
Top Bottom