The basics of color......

"I am not aware of a variety with red ground and dominant white lacing. The only red ground laced variety I am aware of is blue laced red."
White laced red Cornish?

SplashBLRWyCkl.JPEG
SplashBLRWyH.JPEG
splash blr (notice the "white" pencilling), they have splashes of blue, but are not an overall pale blue like the silkies you posted
SalmonWyHs.JPEG
Salmon Wyandottes, (both photos courtesy of Rosalyn Serex from Feathersite).

So, in these three colors (the two colors in this post and the one above) of Wyandottes, what is/are the name(s) of the genes that make them different? I presume the names of the genes would be the names of colors. I understand the splash, I know how it is different, but what is different between the salmon wyandotte and the buff laced wyandotts in the above post? (finding the pictures on Feathersite answered some of my other questions...there's a chocolate cream partridge!! and pyle, and violet laced....there's no way I can move on to studying those colors if I can't even grasp the difference between buff, salmon and wheaton, with their lacing lol).

You are in luck. The chicken color calculator is made by an Asperger... ;)
It can visualize a lot for you.

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

Buff laced is called buff because dom. white makes the gold groundcolor somewhat paler. It can be boosted to red again though.

Dun and chocolate and blue (and largely dominant white too) only dilute the black areas of the chicken, the so called patterncolor. Dun, chocolate and blue's effects can add up to a more diluted patterncolor.

Lavender is unique in that it dilutes both patterncolor (black=>lavender) and groundcolor (gold=>isabel)

The pencilling in Partridge are black lines on a gold groundcolor. The gold groundcolor is often red enhanced.
Partridge is a pattern. The groundcolor can be modified to silver, cream, gold, red by certain genes, but the pattern remains black.
On the other hand dun, chocolate or blue would make the black lines the diluted color, while the groundcolor is not affected.

Last edited:
PS, I don't have a clue what they meant by "dominant white lacing", I was just repeating what I read. But we were specifically talking about buff laced wyandottes that they have in Europe, the feathers look reddish beige, but where our golden laced wyandottes have the black on the feathers, those birds have white.
dominant white is a gene that turns off the expression of black pigment. In laced birds, each feather is outlined in black. If you add dominant white, the black outline becomes a white outline.

BuffLacedWyP.JPEG
From Feathersite.com, courtesy of Shalom Sadon: a buff laced hen (not splash blr). reddish feather, outlined in white....supposedly "dominant white". So, the question is, is the reddish phenotype of the feathers caused by a red (as in the red/gold in our gold-laced wyandottes), or is it caused by a buff/wheaton/salmon type color.

Quote:
"I am not aware of a variety with red ground and dominant white lacing. The only red ground laced variety I am aware of is blue laced red."
White laced red Cornish?
hide.gif
Thanks for correcting me :)

SplashBLRWyCkl.JPEG
SplashBLRWyH.JPEG
splash blr (notice the "white" pencilling), they have splashes of blue, but are not an overall pale blue like the silkies you posted
SalmonWyHs.JPEG
Salmon Wyandottes, (both photos courtesy of Rosalyn Serex from Feathersite).

So, in these three colors (the two colors in this post and the one above) of Wyandottes, what is/are the name(s) of the genes that make them different? I presume the names of the genes would be the names of colors. I understand the splash, I know how it is different, but what is different between the salmon wyandotte and the buff laced wyandotts in the above post? (finding the pictures on Feathersite answered some of my other questions...there's a chocolate cream partridge!! and pyle, and violet laced....there's no way I can move on to studying those colors if I can't even grasp the difference between buff, salmon and wheaton, with their lacing lol).
Names of genes and colours do not necessarily match, but sometimes they can, so it can be confusing. Buff is a rich, bright "guinea gold" (that was a golden coin) colour. Salmon, as you said is more of a soft peachy hue. Additionally, wheaten has a primary pattern, whereas buff is a self (solid) colour. The wheaten variety requires a wheaten base )E^Wh). Buff can be made with either a wheaten or brown base (E^Wh or e^b).

Wheatens from feathersite:

Buffs from feathersite:

And obviously, you can add lacing to buff ;)

Ok, I'm getting there :) LoL.

Do you know of anyone that has a list online of the colors with their respective "codes"?

dominant white is a gene that turns off the expression of black pigment. In laced birds, each feather is outlined in black. If you add dominant white, the black outline becomes a white outline.
Ok. does it "turn off" the black expression in all black, or just on the pattern. ie: you've established that it turns off the black on laced feathers (turning black to white, visually), if the whole feather is black, will it turn the whole feather white, or just the portion of the feather that is patterned (laced)?

Naturally, if you had a black feather, with black lacing, the whole feather would appear black visually....would the portion of the feather that is attributed to the pattern be affected differently than the portion that is attributed to the base color?

You are in luck. The chicken color calculator is made by an Asperger... ;)
It can visualize a lot for you.

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

Buff laced is called buff because dom. white makes the gold groundcolor somewhat paler. It can be boosted to red again though.

Dun and chocolate and blue (and largely dominant white too) only dilute the black areas of the chicken, the so called patterncolor. Dun, chocolate and blue's effects can add up to a more diluted patterncolor.

I think this anwers the questions I just asked. But to be clear, on a gold-laced wyandotte, the gold is the "ground color" and the black is the "patterncolor"?? And not vice versa?

Lavender is unique in that it dilutes both patterncolor (black=>lavender) and groundcolor (gold=>isabel)

The pencilling in Partridge are black lines on a gold groundcolor. The gold groundcolor is often red enhanced.
Partridge is a pattern. The groundcolor can be modified to silver, cream, gold, red by certain genes, but the pattern remains black.
On the other hand dun, chocolate or blue would make the black lines the diluted color, while the groundcolor is not affected.

If partridge is the "pattern", then why does a Partridge Rock have a different pattern than a Partridge Wyandotte?
and to clarify: gold is a ground color while red is a modifier? (getting more into the code rather than what I'm seeing visually).
Which chicken colors have the red-enhancing modifiers? (the names of the final result of combining the base color with the red enhancer). Obviously, we'll start with Partridge, but what else? BLR? (the red on the blr is richer than the red on the gold laced....using red discriptively again, irrispective of the name of the genes involved). And what else?

Back
Top Bottom