• Oh yeahhhhhhh

Votes: 51 54.3%
  • Of course!

Votes: 49 52.1%
  • Why am I here???

Votes: 13 13.8%

• Total voters
Pics
One of my new bobtail pullets…fingers crossed they stay alive! 😫 I got 2, 8 weeks old! Now I have 3 boys and 2 girls and one that’s still too young to tell! Fingers crossed for another girl!! 😵‍💫 I’ve had several Cochins now, and I have to say bobtails are definitely my favorite 😍 the boys are super gentle and the girls are so sassy and chatty but not mean. ❤️❤️
That's wonderful that you managed to get some girls! Good luck with them. Were these new ones from that show you were attending?

That's wonderful that you managed to get some girls! Good luck with them. Were these new ones from that show you were attending?
Thank you!! Yes! I attended the Family Farm Expo as a vendor, and the lady selling these bobtails was there too. I was the first sale they had that day and got my pick! 😆 she had a couple more that were probably also girls, but they were less obvious and I didn’t wanna take any chances haha. I was so happy she brought grow outs! 🎉🎉

One of my new bobtail pullets…fingers crossed they stay alive! 😫 I got 2, 8 weeks old! Now I have 3 boys and 2 girls and one that’s still too young to tell! Fingers crossed for another girl!! 😵‍💫 I’ve had several Cochins now, and I have to say bobtails are definitely my favorite 😍 the boys are super gentle and the girls are so sassy and chatty but not mean. ❤️❤️
All the fingers crossed with this ones! Cuties!

Ok, the broody situation is getting out of hand 😂 I have EIGHT hens thinking they need babies! Those are just the commuted ones too… A few have sat for a few days and decided it was not for them. My silkies and banty Cochin have been given eggs, but I’m not sure if it was a good idea. They’d been sitting for at least a week and the eggs were fresh. So several ideas I need help with!

1. Let them keep sitting on the eggs
1a. Put in incubator if they don’t last the whole 21 days

2. Prefab coop as Broodyland: Move Ethel the Polish who prefers solitude and put all my broodies in that coop. Slip chicks under them in the night (fresh hatched Marans)

3. Try to fit the popup crate in the main coop. Who do I pick up go in? Can several hens share it?

Is it normal for red birds to darken as they age?
I have a pullet I kept just for the sake of having A pullet, and when she was young she was fairly pale and light, but I noticed she seems To be darkening. It’s not drastic, but she’s darker than she was when I decided to keep her, and I’m seeing patches of darker feathers forming.
810692BB-46CD-42B4-8FB0-D7ACE1E5688F.png

she’s in the front of the above photo, not great lighting but the only older one I have of her where she’s actually visible and not blurry.
below is her feathering now. I got her in actual sunlight for the photos. I can’t say whether this is just a trick of the mind to me, or she’s actually darkening, but either way, I’m liking her coloring now.
12BA4C06-4345-4FAE-80CA-CC2278B5AB7B.jpeg

Ok, the broody situation is getting out of hand 😂 I have EIGHT hens thinking they need babies! Those are just the commuted ones too… A few have sat for a few days and decided it was not for them. My silkies and banty Cochin have been given eggs, but I’m not sure if it was a good idea. They’d been sitting for at least a week and the eggs were fresh. So several ideas I need help with!

1. Let them keep sitting on the eggs
1a. Put in incubator if they don’t last the whole 21 days

2. Prefab coop as Broodyland: Move Ethel the Polish who prefers solitude and put all my broodies in that coop. Slip chicks under them in the night (fresh hatched Marans)

3. Try to fit the popup crate in the main coop. Who do I pick up go in? Can several hens share it?
Those are all viable options! I usually only let my super dedicated broodies have real eggs and then I work at breaking the others. I had three Cochins brooding together but only one was really doing the job…so she got to win :)

My frazzle is feathering up again! I took a peek at her today and she’s all quilly, so much better than she was a month ago(mostly naked chicken with no quills)! I think soon enough she’ll start looking- almost- like a normal chicken again.
Also she has kids. I struggled to break her of brooding, so I let her have kids so that she’d actually start taking care of herself again. She’s doing wonderful with them.
FC278E3A-5652-435E-B14E-49EF0596F6AB.jpeg
5B877D3B-1B61-47B8-AA80-A0E30D9FD90F.jpeg
5AA0EA83-BFB6-4EE4-A4AC-EA4ECEE30EEA.jpeg

My frazzle is feathering up again! I took a peek at her today and she’s all quilly, so much better than she was a month ago(mostly naked chicken with no quills)! I think soon enough she’ll start looking- almost- like a normal chicken again.
Also she has kids. I struggled to break her of brooding, so I let her have kids so that she’d actually start taking care of herself again. She’s doing wonderful with them.View attachment 3520191View attachment 3520192View attachment 3520193
Frizzles are such sad looking birds when molting…but wow, frazzles are worse poor girl! ❤️ How nice she gets to be a momma! The babies sure don’t care what mom looks like, right? 😍

So if you have followed my saga with bobtail Cochins on here…you will understand. The eggs I got off eBay in an attempt to add girls to my THREE roosters did not do terribly well. They sent me 12 eggs when I ordered 6…and only one hatched.

7BB84C81-2913-4A49-B30A-F24DF9D94D1D.jpeg

So if you are keeping track…I now have FOUR roosters and two pullets. 😫😫😫

So if you have followed my saga with bobtail Cochins on here…you will understand. The eggs I got off eBay in an attempt to add girls to my THREE roosters did not do terribly well. They sent me 12 eggs when I ordered 6…and only one hatched.

View attachment 3524299

So if you are keeping track…I now have FOUR roosters and two pullets. 😫😫😫
Nooooooo, what rotten luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom