The beginnings of our tractor coop

Avonshire

Songster
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Laurens, SC
OK so we like the idea of a tractor. My dh is building it. It may not be movable but he is sticking with the theory that it will!! So here are its bare bones ...

So the taller side will be where the run attaches. The shorter back side will be where the nest boxes and food and water go. The roosts will go about in the middle. It is 7' by 4' and the taller end is about 6' tall. We are thinking poop boards under the roost with shavings on the floor of the rest of the roost. We don't think we can do deep litter because of the way we have set up the doors for cleaning access. We are planning to add some framing to the bottom. We will add wheels. The floor of the coop is going to be painted plywood I think. It will be removable. The wall that faces the run may be mostly hardware cloth--we have not decided yet. The food and water will hang. We would like to work out some kind of water collector/gravity waterer system but not sure that will work out. We are also hoping to setup an automatic door. All of this seems daunting and EXPENSIVE.

Anyway if you have any recommendations please share. I bought exterior flat paint to paint the roof and the outside walls. We are going to try just a painted roof--for less weight but we will add shingles if it becomes necessary.
Thanks!!

Looking good so far. I agree that I don't think it will be mobile especially with an attached run and if you want to install an automatic pop door. The door will need electricity. If you are like me you let the DH figure it out on his own and just smile when he realizes it.
big_smile.png

If you want to do the deep litter method you could put a removable ledge on the door so that the litter will not fall out when you open it and just remove the ledge for cleaning.

Can't wait to see the finished coop!

Good for you for homeschooling your children! Enjoy the bonding. My oldest is graduating Friday and moving out Saturday.
hit.gif

Well I was reading and somewhere I saw that you would get 12 in in the deep litter method and we would hardly have access to the coop through his doors if we did that. Also we are looking into battery power with back up solar power for the automatic door! lol! Nothing simple about this coop!!! Yeah I am trying to talk mine into going to college online! lol!

Back
Top Bottom