the best for eating?

Quote:
Well, I'm curious....

So, do you mean that they range from 12-16 oz, with 12 oz being the smallest? Or that you have some that get up to 12-16 oz, with others that are smaller?

I've been buying eggs this spring and summer from people that advertise having big birds, but so far 12 oz is the biggest I've gotten, and a lot have been a lot smaller.

Thanks
smile.png

I will bring out a scale and start weighing random birds in the barn, including a couple bobwhites!

Many say Bobs for flavor, Coturnix for cheap/easy/fun. I personally like Coturnix, but that's just me!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Well, I'm curious....

So, do you mean that they range from 12-16 oz, with 12 oz being the smallest? Or that you have some that get up to 12-16 oz, with others that are smaller?

I've been buying eggs this spring and summer from people that advertise having big birds, but so far 12 oz is the biggest I've gotten, and a lot have been a lot smaller.

Thanks
smile.png

I will bring out a scale and start weighing random birds in the barn, including a couple bobwhites!

Many say Bobs for flavor, Coturnix for cheap/easy/fun. I personally like Coturnix, but that's just me!
big_smile.png

Did you get to go weigh any of yours yet? Most of my projects have to wait for the weekend...

As A General Rule Bobs Are Usually Bigger Than Any Variation Of Coturnix And Are Supposed To Be By Natures Design, They Are Simply A Larger Bird. (remember The General Rule...) As Far As Taste ---- There Is No Decision, Bobs Win Hands Down. But Because Of Their Slow Growing And Junk Yard Dog Demeanor That Regulates Them To Large Pens They Are Much Slower And Harder To Raise. In This "time Is Money" World We Live In Most Are In A Hurry Or Trying To Keep Costs To An Absolute Minimum, Both Ideas Are Against Bob White. Nothing Happen Fast With Bobs Except The Flush When Spooked Or Perhaps A Lil Jab/peck Among Brooder Mates When Young
smile.png

I never rate quail. Does quail can go up the coup at night like chicken or they just live in the big cage?

Quote:
They live in a cage, big or small depends how many of them there is.

They "free range" only once.

(Sorry JMR i stole your line LOL.)

Bobwhites take a lot longer to reach full-size and most places (if not all??) require a permit to keep/raise them. So you're probably better off getting coturnix, just shop around and get some from someone that can PROVE they have big quail. Pictures in someone's hand doesn't count, as everyone's hands are different sizes. Pictures next to known-sized wire or on a scale (even better) is what you'll need
smile.png

Quote:
They already have coturnix and are wondering what tastes better, everyone is taking this as a whats easier, the question was what tastes better. Sorry if that came off rude or anything.

Quote:
They already have coturnix and are wondering what tastes better, everyone is taking this as a whats easier, the question was what tastes better. Sorry if that came off rude or anything.

Oh, I missed that part. I've heard bobwhites do, though I've never eaten either of them
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom