The best material for the bottom of the run?

kfintoni

Chirping
Mar 3, 2016
Framingham, MA
Hi everyone we have a large fenced in run for our ladies but am having problems with it staying muddy. We did not have a problem last year but we had just put it up. When we put the run up we ran wire all the way around it including across the bottom, nothing was gonna dig its way in. Well we have had a very rainy winter and spring and it is now a giant mud bath out there. I put hay down hoping maybe some would go to seed and grow and it just got buried under the mud. What do you all use in the bottom of the run? I was thinking of getting some sand but am concerned they wont be able to get much bugs from that when they are not able to free range. What do you all suggest?

Thanks,
Karen in MA

about 6 inches of good old free yard "goodies"

Leaves, mulch, grass, hay...check out the deep littler method.
It might be a good idea for you.

about 6 inches of good old free yard "goodies"

Leaves, mulch, grass, hay...check out the deep littler method.
It might be a good idea for you.

what kiki said...

compost, mulched grass, mulched leaves, etc. i'd go as thick as you can. if you don't have enough of it ask neighbors bagging their yard clippings, leaves, etc. if you can have it.

any way you could cover the run with corrugated tin or sheet metal?

I plan on straw as well, no chicks or coop yet. Straw is terrific in helping with mud. I buy a bunch in the fall and use it as mulch and inbetween my raised beds as they sit in a very low area that collects mud, we also used to use it around our horse barn years ago to be able to walk through the muck. I'm sure the chicks will make quick work of the grass and even with a covered coop with our winds it will get very muddy.

Will this work in the run? I have only heard of the deep litter for a coop.

Karen in MA

Karen,
I'm In Massachusetts too and deep litter works wonderful in my run. I started with wood chips from tree trimmings and just piled on leaves, used shavings, dried grass, chopped straw. I couldn't be happier and neither could my girls.

Back
Top Bottom