The BEST news ever! Read if respiratory problems in your flock!

The Sheriff

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Northern CA
I have had two very sick birds, my little OEG Roo, "Rocky" who I brought home from an auction two weeks ago and stupidly put in with my flock, and "Betty," my French Maran hen. I didn't think much of the change I saw in Rocky's behavior overnight. I just thought he was stressed. I didn't realize until he and Betty became acutely ill with respiratory symptoms which appeared to be infectious coryza, infectious bronchitis, or infectious larygotracheitis. I took Rocky to the vet because he looked worse than Betty and he was the newcomer to the flock and the sickest. A CBC was done and he was started on Ciprofloxicin (antibiotic). We were also giving them subcutaneous injections of fluid for severe dehydration. We treated both chickens. A Poultry Respiratory Panel was done via tracheal swab and sent off to the lab. Over the last few days both birds have improved immensely. But, there was still the lingering belief that I would have to cull the entire flock if they had one of the contagious diseases.

Well, I just heard from the vet. Rocky had an overwhelming bacterial infection, but not one of the contagious diseases that cause all birds exposed to become carriers. He probably had a germ growing when I got him and then passed it on to Betty, making her sick as well. His blood work was off the charts with an extremely high white cell count of 92,000 and neutrophils at toxic levels. It is amazing that he survived. Rocky weighs 13 ounces! Here he is with a standard barred rock:

34566_rock.jpg

No other birds from my flock of 13 have become ill. The plan now is to keep them on antibiotcs for a week AFTER they stop showing respiratory symptoms, then do a culture one week after that to make sure they are germ free. Only then can they be returned to the flock. I am so overjoyed! You cannot imagine, or maybe you can, the horror of not knowing and thinking about culling the entire flock.

My reason for posting this is to thank all the people who gave me such good advice and shared my pain. I also want to stress that the only way to know for sure is to TEST, TEST, TEST! I know it isn't always an option but, biting the bullet and doing it, saved my flock.

We are not out of the woods with our two sick birds. The vet says Rocky's blood results indicates that his infection had been there awhile and by the time he went down fast it was in his bloodstream. But for now, they are both stable, HATING isolation, and eating and drinking well.

Good luck to all those with sick birds. It is so hard to know what it really is you are dealing with. I'll post updates.

Happy, happy, relieved,
Mary

woot.gif
:woot:woot So happy for you, I had been following your posts & was away Friday when you received the great news. Hope all turns out well for little Rocky and Betty.

That is GREAT news and congrats! My flock had the same thing and after treating with antibiotics, all are happy and healthy with no residual affects. I opted not to cull them and very glad that I didn't. I've hatched and raised many chicks from them since without one problem.

Thanks! They are both looking great, mad as hell about having to be in isolation. Betty flew the coop at bedtime last night and we found her pacing the fence trying to get back in with her friends. It was sad. At a minimum, they have 2 more weeks in isolation. I am letting them out in my garden by constructing a fence out of netting. They'd still rather be in the big yard. Here they are:

34566_candling-18.jpg

Mary

p.s I checked the poisonous plant list for everything growing in my garden. Uprooted and threw away the rhubarb.

Mary, Thank you so much for posting your experience. I too am going through this experience. I had a pullet that wasnt growing and had respitory issues. I took her to the vet and she is currently on antibiotics. We have about 6 more days left. We didn't do the tests, but since none of the other birds got sick, we think it was bacterial as well. I will let you know how my girl is doing and I will watch your posts for updates. Thanks so much. Lisa

They did one round of Augmentin orally for ten days. Then we waited a week. Rocky was re-cultured and found to have acinetobacter growing so he was then put on Ciprofloxicin for another week. They have both recovered, returned to the flock, and seem to be doing fine. Rocky is busy procreating with with his beloved Adrienne, they have five babies in the incubator. So far, so good. No one else has shown any signs of illness.

Mary

Augmentin - Generic Name is amoxicillin
Ciprofloxicin - Generic Name is Cipro

Chris

Back
Top Bottom