The best part of having chickens

And chick tv is every bit as soothing as an aquarium (which I also have).

I have an aquarium as well (and a water garden with goldfish), but now that I have chickens, the fish have taken a back seat to the chickens.

Like lovemy6hens says,
... the best part of having chickens is having chickens!

I love feeding them, giving them water, talking with them, listening to them, petting them, carrying them around, tucking them in at night, gathering eggs, photographing them, visiting them half a dozen time a day, or in the summer, just sitting with them. I liked raising them from day-olds, and I look forward to hatching some eggs with a bantam that goes broody me way too often. I like making improvements to the coop (well, I think of a plan and have my husband carry it out), cleaning out the coop, and everything else about keeping chickens - except for dealing with predators.

I took a chance on having chickens, because my DH didn't want them; at first, now he is the one who insist on letting them out first thing in the morning. He also making sure they are O.K. at night. The chickens brought my family a piece of happiness everyday and I do enjoy doing the chicken talk, or sitting on the bench with them.

Thank You!
The two white ones are Brahmas and there are two Wyandottes and I have two Australorps. They all get along pretty well and I just love having chickens. I live in the city zone so the law prevents me for having more chickens. I told my Love that if we move, I wouldn't mind finding a place where we could have a few more chickens.
fl.gif

Last edited:
My favorite thing about having chickens is the friendship. I'm sure that sounds strange, but we live pretty far out and I have yet to make friends with anyone in my age group. We got our first chickens almost two years ago now and they're like my little feather buddies. They run when they hear me open the door, they follow me around when I get the mail, or cut the grass, or even when I try to run to my vehicle without being spotted ;) . I love watching them and listening to them.

My favorite moment is at sunset. I'll have the dogs at my side, everything is so calm and peaceful, and the chickens kind of gather around to slowly go into the coop. It's hard to explain, but it's just the perfect ending to any day.

My favorite thing is how I watched them grow up, got to know their personalities and how they accept me as one of their own. I am a member of their flock, the one who brings treats.

Its very hard to explain, kind of like "you have to be there"! My 7 are so entertaining, I have to get a doggy bag every time we go out for my chickens! Should change to chicken bag!

The best part of chickens for me is their personalities. Every one of them is different and unique. I have five hens. If you don't mind, I'll share about each of their personalities.

Sunny is a buff orpington. She is very cuddly and sweet. She loves to peck at my shoes, clothes and hair. She will sit on my lap for hours. She loves to squawk and tell the world what is new in her life!
lol.png
She is a delicate eater and is very gentle.

Rosie is a speckled sussex. She is curious and likes to stick her nose in everything! She loves to fly, cluck and sit on my shoulder. She is a vicious eater and scares people when she gets hungry!

Gracie is a buff orpington. She is so friendly and affectionate. She will sit on your lap all day if she could. She preens my hair, jumps on my lap, nuzzles my arm and just recently has started putting her neck around mine as if she is hugging me! She pecks any other chicken who comes near me! LOL Her voice is so cute! She is a delicate eater like Sunny.

Quanie is an easter egger mix. She is very shy and bossy. She doesn't like to be held in fear of being pecked by Sunny or Gracie. She is a light eater and almost never has a full crop.

Daisy is a buff orpington. She is friendly and curious. She absolutely loves to preen my hair and tug at my clothing. She is a ferocious eater like Rosie. They have to eat fast if they want to eat! LOL

Chickens have wonderful personalities! It's my favorite thing about them!!

Back
Top Bottom