The BEST Part of Owning Chickens..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by equusvilla, Dec 17, 2010.

1. equusvilla

equusvilla Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    South Texas
    I thought it was going to be the eggs.. but I was wrong. The best and actually the most economical part about owning our birds is that I NEVER have to throw away food anymore.. With our children grown and gone, I would increasingly have to throw away bread before we were done with it - or fruit that had ripened beyond our liking.. etc. Now that never happens and as silly as it sounds it makes me feel so good not to be wasting any thing !

Okay - that is all .. just had to share that!!! [​IMG]

2. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:this is true..lol for me the best part is when i come home from a really horrible day at work and go out and sit with the chickens and they really cheer me up and relax me.[​IMG]

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I love that too. Our girls get the leftovers, anything they can't eat goes into the compost pile, and btn the chickens, recycling, and composting, we just don't produce nearly as much trash as before!

4. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    It can't be the eggs....cus I HAVEN'T gotten any. lol

5. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    The absolute best part for me, other than the fun of going into the yard and watching them "sprint" toward me with butts wobbling and wings flapping, is the fact that when I have to get up late at night or early morning, there are no roaches running for cover when I turn the light on. I do have a leaky house. Or that I have huge vet bills due to a demented dog who eats the black crickets.

Mary

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Eggs, for me, were a "Oh, yeah, that too" add on to the free fertilizer and bug catching benefits, before I even got the chickens.

But now I find that the Chicken Antics are the best part. They wouldn't have to lay a single egg, as far as I'm concerned. But I do love the eggs, and now I even have customers buying them from me.

I love my chickens. I hate this time of year when I can only spend weekends with them - come on, Solstice! Let's get those days lasting longer!

But no bugs. That's wonderful. I never saw such excitement and sheer pleasure over discovering a nest of earwigs!

7. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I agree 200%. I just didn't want to say it out loud. Shhhhh sometimes I even make a little more than what's needed sooooo... my girlies can have their own feast. [​IMG] don't tell DH or DS, as they like left overs. I'll never forget the time I gave the girls left over minestrone soup, DS had no problem when I said it went to the girls, he thought it was to my daughter and her roommates. He was fit to be tied when he found out it was the feathered girls. [​IMG] He said "That was perfectly good soup!!!" and I said "I KNOW" [​IMG]

8. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I love to snuggle with mine. They are so cute to watch and the eggs are just a bonus. I guess you just have to have them to understand how relaxing it is to just sit with your chickens...

9. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:this is true..lol for me the best part is when i come home from a really horrible day at work and go out and sit with the chickens and they really cheer me up and relax me.[​IMG]

This. I just sit and watch them ... [​IMG]

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The best part?

Chicken TV

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by