The Best Place to Live in the United States?

Quote:
I have a hard time with that one. I know of only one person here with Spanish as there native language that actually speaks English too an that one person is rather young. Being as we don't have Spanish speaking communitys for them to fall back on an they still don't learn English, I have a hard time with the idea that they are closer to the border.

THe area south of Louisville Ky!!!!! Anywhere around Elizabethtown upwards. Kentucky is cheap living anyways. They have four season and none extreme. There are hardly any tornadoes. And i remember one small earthquake 6/18/02( my daughters 1st bday) only a 5.0 we didnt even feel it. Louisville and ft Knox are always good for employment and Kentucky is a agricultural state to begin with.

There are instances where the right to legally 'off' yourself is a positive rather than a negative. JMO
old.gif

I am certain that Sourland has many fine qualities, including but not limited to the growing of fine tomatoes. However, on this board he is famous for cutting through the fluff and nonsense and just hitting the nail right on the head. Reason enough for most of us my age to move to Oregon!!

Upstate South Carolina is a nice place to live. Mountains are beautiful and full of history. A couple of hours on the highway will put you on the beaches. Greenville/Spartanburg area is blooming thanks to the BMW plant. Amazon.com plans to plunk down in Spartanburg. Union county is still rural. And Oconee County located in the golden corner of upper South Carolina has several ritzy retirement areas including easy access lakes for fishing and boating.

Winters are relatively mild with the occasional ice storms to challenge those who are from further south. Snowfall is rare but occasionally Upper South Carolina can have snowfall up to 12 inches. Summers can be hot especially in August, but the fall beauty can knock yours socks off. No earthquakes to rattle the fine china. The state parks are beautiful and you can hike, canoe, kayak to your heart's content. Many state parks are horse friendly and bike friendly, and your dog is welcomed so long as it is on a leash.

As we've always heard: Nothing is finer than (fill in the blank) in South Carolina.

Former govenor Tom McCall coined that phrase.

Regarding Oregon, in my opinion it is one of the best places to visit and live in the United States. Actually Chickened is quoting from the Oregaon Chamber of Commerce manual when he lists all of the negatives regarding Oregon. Their motto is "Come and visit, but afterwards, go home."

The whole state of Ca would be off my list for having high taxes an intrusive government.

I like my home state of Ga ok along with AL an TN. Though not perfect. Not that I want more neighbors.

Louisianan has a lot going for it.

Why is Georgia good?

What is the weather like where you live in Georgia? Are the summers hot? How far from the ocean are you?

I know Louisiana has hot summers.

Someone posted a link that listed states with no state income tax. You have to consider overall tax burden, including property tax. Here is a website that lists states by total tax burden. Maine has the highest overall tax burden and Alaska has the lowest. Both of those states have cold winters though.

Number one is highest tax burden. California is ranked 15th and Georgia is 25th for tax burden. Oregon is low on tax burden and is 40th.

http://www.e50plus.com/public/202.cfm

You can own guns in California, and there is some of the best pheasant hunting north of Sacramento. I agree there are too many people in Southern California and in the Bay Area.

Can you give me a couple examples of intrusive government in California? I don't mean to start a debate, I am just trying to understand what you mean.

theoldchick, thank you for posting those pictures. They are beautiful. I like to see people who enjoy where they live. The hot summers don't sound good. :)

Last edited:
So what are you waiting for?
gig.gif
free passage also?

I was recently contacted to clear some land for expansion on a cemetery... hmmm...

There are instances where the right to legally 'off' yourself is a positive rather than a negative. JMO
old.gif

I am certain that Sourland has many fine qualities, including but not limited to the growing of fine tomatoes. However, on this board he is famous for cutting through the fluff and nonsense and just hitting the nail right on the head. Reason enough for most of us my age to move to Oregon!!

Last edited:
Don't move to Oregon. We have high unemployment, high property taxes, high income taxes, they want everyone to ride bicycles or mass transit, our highways are ancient and traffic sucks, the urban rural divide is horrible, our state is broke like California's, we have medical pot cards, you can off yourself legally, free health-care, high influx of the homeless, sex offenders are not jailed, oh and yes it is beautiful here. And did I mention it rains a lot?

Are you unhappy in Oregon or do you just want people not to move to Oregon?

As a resident of Oregon, you should know that different regions of the state have different weather, including rainfall. Eastern Oregon is dry. The area around Klamath Falls in Southern Oregon gets about 15 inches of precipitation a year. And as mentioned, if people live in areas of heavy rainfall, they can collect the water. Oregon is ranked 40th for overall tax burden, with 50 being the lowest.

Unemployment -- the entire country has experienced high unemployment in the last few years, but the economy is improving.

medical pot cards -- I believe in free choice.

Doctor-assisted suicide -- Again, I believe in free choice.

Free healthcare -- Where do I sign up?

Influx of homeless -- I am guessing the homeless are mostly in cities.

Sex offenders are not jailed -- If this is true, I don't like that.

Oregon is sounding pretty good to me.

Last edited:
Oregon is pretty. I don't understand chickened's complaints about healthcare, medical marijuana or physician assisted suicide, though. We voted on it, state's rights, unless you are only pro "big government" when it targets issues you don't agree with. Other than that we do have high unemployment, the city of Portland is run horribly and taxes are high. We don't have a sales tax, though. We also don't have to pump our own gas... not that it's a big deal. Great hunting, fishing and outdoors activities just outside the cities. Violent crime is also pretty low in comparison to big cities and just a few years ago Portland, Oregon was ranked as the second cleanest city in the world. I think the first was Reykjavik, Iceland.

Definitely a nice place but it's not for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom