The best practices for longevity with broad breasted turkeys?

What’s the oldest living broad breasted turkey you’ve raised?

• 1-3 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7-9 years

• 10 years +

• Total voters

Noellereagan

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jun 20, 2018
Big Bend, Wisconsin
550F039F-B03E-4A8B-B72F-E9541BA25772.png

Caption: hey! Take MY picture- I’m the cutest! :celebrate

What are the best practices for longevity with broad breasted turkeys?

It’s no secret that Broad breasted turkeys were not bred to live very long lives . They are bred to grow grotesquely big at an extremely fast date in order to be butchered as young birds. However, they are also sweet and friendly animals, and very easy to bond with and get attached to. I bought my turkeys with the intention of raising them as pets. My birds were never in jeopardy of becoming Thanksgiving dinner. I should’ve researched turkey variations more before I went out on a whim and ordered eight broad breasted bronze turkeys. The fact of the matter is, because of their breeding and size they are prone to many health problems. Everything from cardiac arrest to join problems is a risk with these sweet birds. So as we approach the 10 week mark with my youngsters, I wonder, what are the best practices for turkeys that are to be pet? If an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure there has to be something I can do now that will contribute to a longer life with these broad breasted beauties.

I’ve read to limit their protein and food intake- but as we know- turkeys NEED a very high protein level to develop correctly and avoid afflictions, such as, perosis. But what about limiting their rations after they’re out of that critical growing period- say, 6 months old?

And obviously keep the bedding clean and dry and avoiding contact with chickens as poults (which isn’t an option for me, as I am the proud mama to a rooster flock of five gentleman), can contribute to good health. And of course feeding them good food, pasture and adding a supplemental vitamin regime helps too I’ve also had my on vitamin B complex since they were abut three weeks.

But what else? I know there was a member of the BYC community that had a beloved bird that was a broad breasted White that lived to the ripe old age of nine- which is rather remarkable, but as I understand, this turkey mom is no loner with us to reveal her secret to longevity in the broad breasted world. Too bad for lot of reasons, one of them being the remarkable feat of keeping one of this variation alive and healthy for NINE YEARS! Since the average life span is 1-3 years for these birds, that’s really amazing.

What I need to know is- aside from raising an altogether different and smaller turkey- and without the afore mentioned practices that I’ve successfully implemented already with my flock- what else can I do or try to add years on to my pet turkey’s lives?

I know there’s not a magic cure-all or secret formula, but if you’ve raised one of the broad breasted varieties and the bird(s) have lived beyond three years old - what did you do that others may not have? And how old did your longest living bird age to?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I know some may laugh that I have 8 pet turkeys Andin my logical mind I realize it may classify me as insane, but in the emotional part of my brain, I know what’s doneis done- and what’s done is a strong bond between 8 uniquely different birds and I the time I dedicate is insane in itself- but I love it. And, yes, I did calculate the cost of feeding a full grown turkey will meet, and possibly exceed, $250 annually, PER BIRD- but my time with these inquisitive and rather kind creatures-is truly priceless so that begs the question- HOW DO I CARE FOR THEM IN A WAY THAT CONTRIBUTES TO A LONG AND HEALTHY LIFE?

D7FFC9FB-D9F6-4A38-A2EB-C0E514F263FF.jpeg

Great thread. I look forward to seeing the suggestions. My experience with BB's is limited to two, but I let me think about the ways I kept them healthy.

I cant be of much help on this one :( any bb boys I end up with go to freezer camp. My oldest bb hen was almost 2 when she passed of heart failure. Have one bbw this year, was really hoping for a hen.... now Dot is Thanksgiving dinner... :(

I cant be of much help on this one :( any bb boys I end up with go to freezer camp. My oldest bb hen was almost 2 when she passed of heart failure. Have one bbw this year, was really hoping for a hen.... now Dot is Thanksgiving dinner... :(
So dot is a don? I thought you had a hard time butchering them? Or do you have it done?

Oh I still butcher. Do it myself because sent to processing is damn expensive. They are intended for meat. Thanksgiving table birds are a big part of annual income. I have my special heritage birds that are intended for breeding and get spoiled. Any mutts or extra jakes are sent to the freezer. Unneeded hens are sold.

Oh I still butcher. Do it myself because sent to processing is damn expensive. They are intended for meat. Thanksgiving table birds are a big part of annual income. I have my special heritage birds that are intended for breeding and get spoiled. Any mutts or extra jakes are sent to the freezer. Unneeded hens are sold.
I wondered how you do it without butchering. I thought- wow! He’s gonna end up with a lot of poultry! :lau

View attachment 1499619

It’s no secret that Broad breasted turkeys were not bred to live very long lives . They are bred to grow grotesquely big at an extremely fast date in order to be butchered as young birds. However, they are also sweet and friendly animals, and very easy to bond with and get attached to. I bought my turkeys with the intention of raising them as pets. My birds were never in jeopardy of becoming Thanksgiving dinner. I should’ve researched turkey variations more before I went out on a whim and ordered eight broad breasted bronze turkeys. The fact of the matter is, because of their breeding and size they are prone to many health problems. Everything from cardiac arrest to join problems is a risk with these sweet birds. So as we approach the 10 week mark with my youngsters, I wonder, what are the best practices for turkeys that are to be pet? If an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure there has to be something I can do now that will contribute to a longer life with these broad breasted beauties.

I’ve read to limit their protein and food intake- but as we know- turkeys NEED a very high protein level to develop correctly and avoid afflictions, such as, perosis. But what about limiting their rations after they’re out of that critical growing period- say, 6 months old?

And obviously keep the bedding clean and dry and avoiding contact with chickens as poults (which isn’t an option for me, as I am the proud mama to a rooster flock of five gentleman), can contribute to good health. And of course feeding them good food, pasture and adding a supplemental vitamin regime helps too I’ve also had my on vitamin B complex since they were abut three weeks.

But what else? I know there was a member of the BYC community that had a beloved bird that was a broad breasted White that lived to the ripe old age of nine- which is rather remarkable, but as I understand, this turkey mom is no loner with us to reveal her secret to longevity in the broad breasted world. Too bad for lot of reasons, one of them being the remarkable feat of keeping one of this variation alive and healthy for NINE YEARS! Since the average life span is 1-3 years for these birds, that’s really amazing.

What I need to know is- aside from raising an altogether different and smaller turkey- and without the afore mentioned practices that I’ve successfully implemented already with my flock- what else can I do or try to add years on to my pet turkey’s lives?

I know there’s not a magic cure-all or secret formula, but if you’ve raised one of the broad breasted varieties and the bird(s) have lived beyond three years old - what did you do that others may not have? And how old did your longest living bird age to?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I know some may laugh that I have 8 pet turkeys Andin my logical mind I realize it may classify me as insane, but in the emotional part of my brain, I know what’s doneis done- and what’s done is a strong bond between 8 uniquely different birds and I the time I dedicate is insane in itself- but I love it. And, yes, I did calculate the cost of feeding a full grown turkey will meet, and possibly exceed, $250 annually, PER BIRD- but my time with these inquisitive and rather kind creatures-is truly priceless so that begs the question- HOW DO I CARE FOR THEM IN A WAY THAT CONTRIBUTES TO A LONG AND HEALTHY LIFE?

View attachment 1499618
View attachment 1499619

View attachment 1499618
Broad breasted turkeys are incredibly sweet! Little wonder you'd want to learn about lengthening their lives. We have 4 pets that are BB. They are pretty healthy, about 1.5 years old. Obviously, no guarantees we'll be breaking any records, but we've learned a few things that seem potentially helpful to share. 1st, we give ours daily Epsom salt foot baths with hydrogen peroxide. Get a kiddy pool that goes high enough to cover their hocks. Feet and hocks are very sensitive. The baths help mitigate bumblefoot which they'll inevitably experience, and reduce irritation in their hocks. Without it, their feet become swollen and squishy and they sleep up on their hocks which quickly deteriorates their mobility. 2nd, treat any sign of limping quickly. We use CBD salve on hocks, arnica cream, and a low dose of metacam. We try to limit their intake of pellets and go at least 2 days a week with exclusively foraged, free range diet. Our BB turkeys still range just as far as our heritage birds, so they get a ton of daily exercise. They mostly eat slug, grasses and seeds. We love them tremendously. They're missing some feathers, so having blue coat on hand is a good idea. Itkeeps the chickens from pecking. Hope this helps, best of luck. We find them to be so much more personable than the heritage breeds.

Back
Top Bottom