1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

the best time of year to get chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mamdoe, Apr 25, 2010.

1. mamdoe

mamdoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Anyone have a specific time of year they think is the easiest to raise baby chicks up?
    I have 11 chicks, I'd like to get a few more but I want to wait and see what my rooster situation is. And I'm hoping that at least one of my silkies is a hen and will want to take care of some chicks for me. But I'm not sure that waiting until the fall is a good idea cause then comes the long winter.
    Is it hard to move chicks out to the coop when it's 10 degrees and below?
    Just trying to plan ahead.....
    I had no idea that chickens could be so addicting![​IMG]

2. pattypenny

pattypenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2007
    in the spring. I like to get them by May and they will start laying in the fall and I have eggs in the winter.

3. MeerKat

MeerKat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    In my opinion now is the best tiem , spring . It's warming up and they will be old enout to put them out before winter comes .

I would also like to see what others say about this .

4. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    depends where you live. here in NY I wouldn't do the fall cause it gets pretty cold quick, It's easiest to wait until the temps are getting warm enough you don't have to supplement a lot of heat and get them outside faster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by