The Best Water Heaters?

Your system is NOT a "fountain" type waterer
THIS is a "fountain" waterer:

Your PUMP has nothing at all to do with it
Forget about the pump altogether

You're right my system isn't a fountain type waterer........ I never said that it was!

It's a very efficient way to water 5 chickens through the winter and not have the water freeze. It only cost me $20 bucks for the 2 parts (the submersible heater and submersible fountain pump).

Us up here in the north that will remain below freezing outside for weeks at a time can probably use this to keep their water thawed and not have to carry water outside every day.

Thanks.

Last edited:
So I need to buy a new water heater and I was wondering what the best ones are. I've looked at submerged heaters or floating ones and I don't think those will work for my waterer. Do the Cookie Tins actually work? Does the light bulb get too hot for the bedding? Any other advice if appreciated thanks!

The cookie tin water heater works GREAT. I built one 3yrs ago for less than $5. I added a ThermoCube, for when the temps get over 40. I use a 40W bulb in it. I have the tin sitting up on a couple of concrete blocks(Check the pic), to keep it up out of the shavings, even though it doesn't get hot enough to worry about. You could buy one at TractorSupply or some other AG store for around $50. But, they have been known to just crap out. And once they do, they are junk to be thrown away. If the bulb burns out in the cookie tin, just put another in, and you are good to go.

900x900px-LL-0b0fa4a5_55557_img_1367.jpeg

Last edited:
You're right my system isn't a fountain type waterer........ I never said that it was!

It's a very efficient way to water 5 chickens through the winter and not have the water freeze. It only cost me $20 bucks for the 2 parts (the submersible heater and submersible fountain pump).

Us up here in the north that will remain below freezing outside for weeks at a time can probably use this to keep their water thawed and not have to carry water outside every day.

Thanks.
that is exactly what my husband said we are going to use! but why the submersible fountain pump? can you message me a photo of your setup?

I have heard the cookie tin heaters work great so I made my first one today. I will test it out and if it works as well as everyone says I will make many more for all my other coops.

I have heard the cookie tin heaters work great so I made my first one today. I will test it out and if it works as well as everyone says I will make many more for all my other coops.

I've heard that they work well too. I actually made one in March when I got my baby chicks.

I live in Michigan and I just wonder if it "really" will keep the water from freezing. I do have a different set up that I like much more, but I'm going to take this cookie tin one I made and wait till the dead of winter and place it and a covered bucket of water outside and see if it "really" works. I just find it hard to believe that there is enough heat generated from a 40 watt or 60 watt bulb to even warm the cookie tin, let alone the bucket of water................ But they say that they work so we will see.

I think it will work. I live in Michigan also. A light bulb puts out more heat than you might realize. I will be curious of the results. We used light bulbs to keep the barn plumbing from freezing in the winter in the horse barn, and it worked fine. It was heating up a lot more solid pipe and concrete than a chicken waterer. We put the lights in a large coffee can "tube" and covered the whole thing with a blanket and it kept the pipes from freezing. Of course, every situation is different, and if there is something taking more heat than you can give, it will freeze.

For my chickens, I've been using a metal base with a thermostat controlled heat element that has kept the water from freezing the last three winters. A little ice developed on the edge in the coldest temps. Not ideal, but it kept enough water available for the chickens. It probably would have been fine if indoors, but I keep the water outside. It's easier for me to fill and it gets the hens outside for some fresh air. The wind chill will be a factor also. If it is sheltered from the wind, versus in an open, arctic, breeze will make a big difference.

Last edited:
Quote: It's simple Physics:

A 60 Watt bulb will produce MORE heat than your 50 Watt heater.

The amount of heat an electrical heat source produces is a mathematical ratio that doesn't change

A 60 Watt bulb produces about 205 BTU's per hour vs about 175 BTU's for your 50 Watt heater

A 40 watt bulb produces about 136 BTU's

One Watt will equal roughly 3.4 BTU's for ANY electrical heating device

http://www.borino.com/GYC/wattsbtu_calculator.htm

Back
Top Bottom