The best way to cull a baby chick !!!???

Thanks for all the replys, like i have said before I tryed to help him, I dont belive it was meant to be from the begining, first the chick piped the wrong end of the egg, I helped him out.... if I never helped him out he would of never made it out !!! So right there is sign # 1, after about a day i noticed that his leg was stuck up to his body and sticking out to the side a little (not spralled leg) ok sign #2. I made him a little chicky brace and wraped it so that it would go out striaght, he uses the leg a little little bit, so now that i took the brace off its straight and out to the side and still gimps around, besides that he is a great little chick !!! eats,poops,drinks !!!! My fear is that if I let him grow then he will start to suffer from not being able to get around, right now its not a HUGE problem b/c he is so so tiny and lives in a box of shavings, but when the "REAL" world comes its not that easy !!!!

I hear ya Country Mom, I have a dorking roo that was too big for his egg he was so packed in there I had to help him out, he was stuck. As a result both of his feet are all twisted. I watched him close but he got around better than any chick in there. He is now 9 weeks old and his name is Stew, you guessed it, if he would of been a hen then no problem but seeing as he is a roo I have to put the betterment of the flock 1st. But I sure do like that boy, he got gumption.

Can't help you decide about your chick that is something everyone has to come to terms with. I would like to say I support you in your decission and my heart breaks for you as it is not easy.

As far as the best way to cull goes that is easy, call your brother LOL. That is what I do.

I personally cannot take a hatchet (or scissors) to a bird... that's just me. If I HAVE to do it (usually DH does the deed) I've found that putting a folded papertowel in a baggie, spraying a LOT of starter fluid in it, and placing the chick in the bag and sealing it is quick... I don't know about painless, but they lose consciousness very quickly, and are gone within 20 seconds or so. No blood, no mess, but I do admit I don't like culling and I now cannot stand the smell of starter fluid...
sad.png

I wanted to add that I'm going to see what happens over the next few days, I took the brace off today so I will see if the leg gets any stronger !!!

Any other ideas on how to cull would be great !!!

I know my hubby has his way, I would like to give him a new way (for the little chicks) so I know he went nicely !!!

Ohhh and I cant do th freezer thing, i would never be able to use it again, or look at it, or open it !!!

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

I personally cannot take a hatchet (or scissors) to a bird... that's just me. If I HAVE to do it (usually DH does the deed) I've found that putting a folded papertowel in a baggie, spraying a LOT of starter fluid in it, and placing the chick in the bag and sealing it is quick... I don't know about painless, but they lose consciousness very quickly, and are gone within 20 seconds or so. No blood, no mess, but I do admit I don't like culling and I now cannot stand the smell of starter fluid...
sad.png

Oh my.......
Do you check to see if it has a pulse, or are you sure it is dead and not just passed out from the fumes? I could never do the knife to the neck thing, but I couldn't do the chemical thing either. I wish there was a way for someone like one of us, who is not a veterinarian, to be allowed to just purchase small doses of the euthanasia liquid from the vet for a situation like this. I would call a wildlife rehabilitation person and find out how they euthanize the birds they have to kill...maybe they'd help. I have had to put a big, old fish down before to end it's misery, and it was advised that I freeze it...it seemed to put it into hibernation mode 1st and then it totally froze over. I have since frozen some live minnows for my turtles, and they last a long time in ice cold water before they freeze. I probably won't do it again. It's just not something I feel comfortable doing.​

It's hard for me to watch, but they just quiet down, the breathing slows, and then you can feel the muscles relax. Then I check to see if there's any breathing at all, wait to a count of 20 or 30, and then take it out. Sad as it is to lose a chick, we try not to waste anything so small birds wind up going in the freezer for shrimp bait. I hope that doesn't sound crazy, but the shrimp go crazy over them! And I feel like their life, short as it was, was not wasted. :aww I hate losing ANY birds, but sometimes you have to do it.

Back
Top Bottom