The Best Weed?

FiveHens

Songster
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
So, the chickens have been in their run for about two months now, during which time they have (predictably) reduced it to bare earth. We are fortunate enough to be obligated to be somewhere else for my parents's jobs in the summer, so someone with a large flock of chickens is going to take care of them in our absence.

My point is, the chickens will be absent from their run for around 2.5 months. We would love to plant something in their run then, preferably a big, fast-growing weed, so they could have some fun when they get back.

Yes, we have some grass seed, but all we are looking for it some vegetation to cover the ground, and the grass doesn't go fast enough.
I've read about people using rape seed, etc, but I don't know where to get that...

So, any ideas for a weed? We'd have so be able to find it somewhere around central VA or be able to get seeds in seed packets.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
I think I'd go with alfalfa since you can buy seed for that and it grows quickly. The chickens also like to eat it.
love.gif
: Angelique

This is meant just as a temporary thing, is it?

What I would do is this: Rough up the run with a shovel (just dig it crudely over, so it is not packed and solid). Then go weed my gardens; also if there is anywhere that I could (or actively wanted to!) *dig* weeds out of, wholesale chunks o' earth with a shovel, do that too. Dump it all in the roughed-up run once the chickens are gone. Maybe water it in. SOMEthing will root and grow, and you won't have spent any money, and your garden will have got weeded too
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

If you can find the seed I recommend giant chickweed, purslane, and/or lambsquarters.

But your best bet is whatever type of fast growing grass is suited to your climate and season. Your local county extension office should be able to tell you what that would be.

buy a small bag of the plain ol' "wild bird seed" throw it out there after roughing up the dirt. trust me real quick you'll have all kinds of stuff growing out there.
smile.png
i had the stuff quickly growing on my porch with no dirt but dust/whatever i hadn't swept up off the porch after my feeders on my porch got knocked over while I was on vacation...Got home after being gone for 6 days and I had 4" seedlings growing through the tight cracks of my porch
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom