The Big day is finally here

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MMPoultryFarms, Jul 29, 2010.

1. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    This weekend is Our first farm slaughter I have about 40 chickens to Process and 6 Toms hope all goes well if it does I just might throw in a duck and a goose because I can [​IMG] the thing that gets me is my kids. We have a assembly line set up so to speak. I will place birds in cone station and bleed them out. Splash them in there 145-150 degree water and pluck them. I will also make all the nccisary cuts to them But the kids are fighting over who gets to rip the guts out. Is this something I should let them do? Or should I just make this a long day and do it alone? anyone have any advice as to what I should let a 13 year old and 6 year old do? These are Sale birds so I got to get it right so my customers keep coming back?
    thank you in advance for any feed back.

2. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    [​IMG] when should I be there? [​IMG]
    CONGRATS!!
    I wish mine were ready [​IMG] I don't have any kids so I don't know, I think if they're willing then go ahead and put em to work.. besides their small hands can get in the bird better, and just go back after they're done and make sure they're cleaned properly. I hope everything goes well!

3. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    If this is your first slaughter 46 birds is a lot of birds, you should probably try 10 the night before and see how long it takes you, then multiply that time by about 5 and see how long it will take you. I put three in freezer camp last winter and it took me a couple of hours from start to finish. You may be biting off a bit more than you can chew, I don't mean to discourage you but give a few a try first. [​IMG]

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I would definitely let them help and expect the older one to do a good job...inspect them to see if they are cleaning them well. The younger can definitely do a lot of jobs in your assembly line but I wouldn't put her where the finishing would be.

Kids are just attracted to this sort of thing...I always was and still am. Thank God you have kids that are still normal kids!

What an educational day this will be.....good luck and post pics afterwards?

5. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:this is my first chicken slaughter, Not my first time behind the carving knife by no means and I can skin a rattler to perfection. (they make a good chili he he) 46 is quite the number but I am a poultry farm and I knew what I was expecting before I ever opened my door. This is just my first test run the big batches are in brooders and 10 bonus roo's to practice caponizing.
    This is the day that my farm actually covers some expenses I have spent along the way and we are joyful and happy and give many good thanks to the Lord for opening these doors to us as a struggling family. ty for the concern and support I greatly apreciate that as well [​IMG]

6. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    I'd be making them pluck. That's going to be the longest and most frustrating part for you.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Actually, plucking CX takes about 1 min. or less. The feathers seem to be easy enough to wipe off the bird...honestly! The hardest part is cutting around the anus to release the bowel without puncturing it.

8. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    hope all goes well. good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by