The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

Number 2 squats always does number 1 takes sometimes 2 goes and doesn't seem to squat as low. Do roosters squat at all?
I don't really have much experience with roosters besides having mine for 4 days after he crowed but I don't believe roosters squat. A pullet squatting is basically it's way of being submissive if a rooster wants to mate with it. Anyway, that's my understanding of it.

This is Rosita, RIR about 8-10 weeks, I have seen rir hens with big combs but I'm not sure anymore. Roo or hen?

Aah!I heard a crow this morning, but I'm not sure if it was coming from my spare room where the chicks are, or if the sound was coming in an open window. Jumped out of bed and listened at the door but no one obliged. Drat.

In regards to squatting, all but one of my 6 week old chicks will squat down when I pet their backs and sit contentedly until I stop. Is that a tool you can use to determine seX, or is it just a mark of docility?

Aah!I heard a crow this morning, but I'm not sure if it was coming from my spare room where the chicks are, or if the sound was coming in an open window. Jumped out of bed and listened at the door but no one obliged. Drat.

In regards to squatting, all but one of my 6 week old chicks will squat down when I pet their backs and sit contentedly until I stop. Is that a tool you can use to determine seX, or is it just a mark of docility?

That is incredibly young for squatting which usually occurs right before hens lay as if provides a good platform for the roosters to be on during mating. Are you sure it's a squat? A proper on looks like this : :)

(Not my photo)

That's quite a squat! Mine do more of a.....hunker? Wings in, legs bent, happy expression, quiet noises. They must just like/tolerate being petted, that's great clarification! Thanks a million.

If it doesn't look like that it isn't a squat. :) Although when you mentioned they were all squatting at first I thought you had all of the youngest chicken layers in history :)

Last edited:
Wouldn't that be great! Alas, no. I'll keep my eyes peeled for THAT kind of squat. Thank you!
ya that would be great! You will definitely know when they squat. Some of mine even stomp their feet when they squat, it's so funny. Yours must just really not mind being pet because all mine run away as quickly as they can even though I hold them every day.

Renee572,I've got a RIR, Barred Rock, Australorp, Wyandotte, Welsummer, Gold Comet and Black Copper Marans, just one of each type. So far they are all pretty docile, but the Welsummer and the Rhode Island are still getting used to the idea of being picked up. I tried to pick breeds that were supposed to be nice. I put my hand and treats in the brooder and pick up/feed/pet whoever comes over. It's so much easier to round everyone up after some time outdoors if they aren't scared. I've got one trained to come to the sound of treats being shaken in a plastic cup but the rest aren't quite getting the idea. Good luck with your runners! I'm sure they will come around.

Back
Top Bottom