The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

I suspect black chick is roo by behaviour. I will keep him regardless but hope I'm wrong. Any adult coloration predictions? 3 1/2 weeks old. The red one stumps me because none of the hens were solid red. Their father was buff orpington barred rock cross, gorgeous fellow. Fun watching them grow :)

If he has the single barred gene, the White head spot on his head indicates male.

I'm just excited because I recently learned how to sex barred rock chicks after they are dry. Which makes me happy, since I am planning to mostly have barred rocks :)

It was more complicated than I expected, but it was fun to look at them and try and figure it out.

Still not accurate. If the rooster has a barred gene, he can pass his barred gene on to both male and female offspring, giving everyone a single barring gene. If a hen has barring she can only pass her barring gene to her male offspring. For barred rooster to barred hen, the males will get one barred gene from both the mother and the father, the females will only get one barred gene from their father.

Still not accurate. If the rooster has a barred gene, he can pass his barred gene on to both male and female offspring, giving everyone a single barring gene. If a hen has barring she can only pass her barring gene to her male offspring. For barred rooster to barred hen, the males will get one barred gene from both the mother and the father, the females will only get one barred gene from their father.

Ah, very interesting, I didn't know that :)

Back
Top Bottom