The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

Hi - new egg here. I've been stalking the forums for a while now. What a fantastic community this is! So, we lost all 6 of our Barred Rock hens in April to a wily fox. They were producing nearly 6 eggs a day, including all through winter - and were so very sweet. We definitely wanted more BRs, but this time around, I thought we'd try a few BOs since I've read so many great things about them.

We bought 3 BR and 3 BO day old chicks from Meyer Hatchery (which is who we used before). All 6 are supposed to be hens. But I've noticed over the last week or so, that this little guy is looking more and more like a cockerel. Chicks are 7 weeks old. What do you guys think? We can't keep a rooster. So, if it is, once he starts crowing, he goes in the pot. At this stage though, my question is just curiosity. :) Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi - new egg here. I've been stalking the forums for a while now. What a fantastic community this is! So, we lost all 6 of our Barred Rock hens in April to a wily fox. They were producing nearly 6 eggs a day, including all through winter - and were so very sweet. We definitely wanted more BRs, but this time around, I thought we'd try a few BOs since I've read so many great things about them. We bought 3 BR and 3 BO day old chicks from Meyer Hatchery (which is who we used before). All 6 are supposed to be hens. But I've noticed over the last week or so, that this little guy is looking more and more like a cockerel. Chicks are 7 weeks old. What do you guys think? We can't keep a rooster. So, if it is, once he starts crowing, he goes in the pot. At this stage though, my question is just curiosity. :) Thank you!
Can I see him next to another of your BO's?

Roo
Oh dear. Lol.Cute wattles.
Pullet
Pullet

Last edited:
Hi - new egg here. I've been stalking the forums for a while now. What a fantastic community this is! So, we lost all 6 of our Barred Rock hens in April to a wily fox. They were producing nearly 6 eggs a day, including all through winter - and were so very sweet. We definitely wanted more BRs, but this time around, I thought we'd try a few BOs since I've read so many great things about them. We bought 3 BR and 3 BO day old chicks from Meyer Hatchery (which is who we used before). All 6 are supposed to be hens. But I've noticed over the last week or so, that this little guy is looking more and more like a cockerel. Chicks are 7 weeks old. What do you guys think? We can't keep a rooster. So, if it is, once he starts crowing, he goes in the pot. At this stage though, my question is just curiosity. :) Thank you!
Welcome to BYC, I'm sorry you have had problems with foxes, I feel your pain. Please can you get a side but side view of it compared to the other BOs so that we can compare comb development. For now I would say roo, what is its behaviour like? :)

A few more pics- as for disposition, it's the most skittish and standoffish of the 6. First pic I know is a hen. Second has both and third is just the ?

Back
Top Bottom