The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

We picked up two hatchlings from a local chicken guy about a month ago. The gold one should be a Road Island red, the black one we have no idea. Blacklee has green feet that are starting to feather. And Goldie is twice the size, very ballsy and has a lot going on in the comb area. Thank you for any input about breed or sex!

Goldie still has chick down on the head, and that comb is already getting red. It's a boy.

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Isn't it just my luck! I've been pretty sure about Goldie and in denial about Blacklee. We are only going to have a small flock, and having a rooster around scares me about chicken math. My 4 year old keeps crowing and trying to get them to imitate.

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Isn't it just my luck! I've been pretty sure about Goldie and in denial about Blacklee. We are only going to have a small flock, and having a rooster around scares me about chicken math. My 4 year old keeps crowing and trying to get them to imitate.

Haha! Your four year old sounds adorable!

Looks to be a rhode island red cross to me...was hoping for a hen. Any thoughts?

Also bonus points if anybody knows what the small one in the first picture is.

Hi all!
We added to our little flock last week with 4 (we're told) Welsummer x Barred Rock pullets. We *think* they're around the 20 week mark, perhaps slightly older, certainly one of them is looking like she's getting ready to lay, but the others look a bit off it yet.
However, there's one amongst them who (a) doesn't look like a the other pullets colour-wise (I think a leghorn has made its present felt with this one), and (b) is a roo!
There's been no crowing nor attempts to, but there has been some sparring with the other pullets (which.. Maybe this sounds mad... Looks to me almost good-natured and playful?). I've also seen him/her rather tenderly cleaning the other pullets' beaks. S/he is quite a goofball, a good natured bird, engaging in little bursts of running about for the sake of it, just like our pb leghorn pullets.
But that feathering...
So! Put me out of my misery good folks!
I took these photos today on a rather soggy day here in Ireland, so they're not looking their best!
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all!
We added to our little flock last week with 4 (we're told) Welsummer x Barred Rock pullets. We *think* they're around the 20 week mark, perhaps slightly older, certainly one of them is looking like she's getting ready to lay, but the others look a bit off it yet.
However, there's one amongst them who (a) doesn't look like a the other pullets colour-wise (I think a leghorn has made its present felt with this one), and (b) is a roo!
There's been no crowing nor attempts to, but there has been some sparring with the other pullets (which.. Maybe this sounds mad... Looks to me almost good-natured and playful?). I've also seen him/her rather tenderly cleaning the other pullets' beaks. S/he is quite a goofball, a good natured bird, engaging in little bursts of running about for the sake of it, just like our pb leghorn pullets.
But that feathering...
So! Put me out of my misery good folks!
I took these photos today on a rather soggy day here in Ireland, so they're not looking their best!
Thanks!

Honestly, all three in that last picture kind of look like boys to me.

Thanks junebuggena!
However, I know it's not the best photo as it's only with white one I wanted to highlight, as the two behind we have no doubts about, they're all pullet. Indeed, the very dark one to the right is no time away from laying, her comb is reddening more every day (that bottom photo is a few days old!) and she's very "henny"!

Thanks junebuggena!
However, I know it's not the best photo as it's only with white one I wanted to highlight, as the two behind we have no doubts about, they're all pullet. Indeed, the very dark one to the right is no time away from laying, her comb is reddening more every day (that bottom photo is a few days old!) and she's very "henny"!
Full body pics? They look to be about 14 weeks or so.

Back
Top Bottom