The biggest egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenLover200, Mar 11, 2015.

1. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Does anyone know if there's a record for the world's biggest chicken egg? or the world's smallest chicken egg?
    It just came to mind.. as I've collected many HUGE eggs and I usually end up emptying the yolk and white out of the shell without damaging it so that I can keep the shell.

So far I've collected 11 eggs. Two of which are tiny, tiny eggs.

I thought it would be neat to see if any other people have any very large or tiny eggs. So if you want you can post a picture of that egg and how big it is (around sideways and the height). Then you can post the breed of the chicken who laid that egg.

I will post a picture of the biggest one I have later.. I measured it a while back, but I can't remember how big it was. I'm thinking it was 3-4 inches around sideways and 7-8 inches around height wise.

post away!

[​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    The heaviest egg ever laid was by a leghorn which weighed one pound and had a double yolk and double shell.

The largest chicken egg ever recorded weighed 12 ounces, measured 12.25 inches around and had nine yolks!

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    wow!
    The one that I just "blew out" today had 3 yolks. That's the most yolks I've ever gotten in a chicken's egg.
    Interesting.. I don't think I'll ever get an egg from one of our hens that big but if I ever do then I'll know if ti's a record!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by