the Blackest Ones: on exploring the significance of Cemani mutations

I don't think any has been in the country before or currently in either. But I guess one can try to make a mock one from Denzili? x Oriental game fowls. After all, they just look like large oriental games with single combs and long crows.

That will be a great project, but keep in mind on the long crow as well.

I might even want some in the future too
smile.png

Is Anyone familiar with the American Gamefowl "****** Roundheads" and would they be a good start in crossing for "The blackest ones"? If so, what might I cross them with?

************ Hmmmmmm. That would be Nig-Grrrrrr Roundheads?

Lol, don't you love it when sites make you feel dirty? I am also on a horse site and it's very hard to say that you want the horse to cock his leg, it censors that... makes you feel like you tried to say something wrong when you didn't really.

Hi, can you go to basics for me on fibromelanism. Is it a recessive gene? More than one gene? co dominant?
I was thinking that is was a combination of genes because of the partial and incomplete phenotypes you see; ie, a rooster with a partially black comb....

How is everyones flocks coming along? I have Cemani chicks hatching as well as more Cemani/Araucana chicks. I find it very interesting that I got a solid black pullet from crossing a very poor quality Cemani roo, grey skin, mulberry comb/wattles, light nails, and a pale mouth that was silver birchen feather color. I crossed that rooster to one of my silver duckwing Araucana hens that had no gypsy face (very red comb/wattles) and got a solid black chick better than the Cemani parent for fibro.

This is a Cemani/Araucana cross chick.

This is the same chick now, skin is pretty dark, even a bit of the mouth is black.

I find it interesting that this chick shows better fibro than the Cemani parent. Makes me wonder if there are genes in some breeds that enhance the fibro and some that block it or possibly just block it from showing? I was also surprised that I got a soolid black chick from 2 patterned parents.

I like this cross so well that I have put a couple of my black Araucana hens with a gypsy face in with a Cemani rooster that has a faulty floppy comb. It's very black though and his mouth is black so he will be used later (I have more Cemani roo's than hens at the moment). I wanted to put him to good use and maybe learn a little more about how fibro works.

This is the roo with the Araucana hens. No mulberry in his comb

This is a much better Cemani roo, comb is excellent, has silver leakage as a birchen would. The tufted Cemani/Araucana pullet is in his pen now. She is 5 months old now so she may not lay until spring. Bred to good black hens, this rooster will produce excellent all black chicks and hopefully, as much fibro as he has. No mulberry in comb or wattles here either and both have black in the mouths

The 2 roo's

Back
Top Bottom