THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask for others' opinions. I have an eco 20 and about 2 months ago I went ahead and ordered the auto-turner. When I got the auto-turner I was initially disappointed that it moved sooooo slowly, nothing at all like wheat happens when I walk over and turn the whole incubator.

SO- I have had two hatches since buying the turner and my hatch rate has dropped significantly. (usually have 50-75% hatches and these two were both below 50%) Not only that...but I have had multiple chicks hatch several DAYS late, I had one hatch today on DAY 24. I have had to cull several of them for leg deformities, something I have *never* experienced when I was turning them manually.

Has anyone else noticed reduced/problem hatches after relying solely on the auto-turner? I'm ready to get rid of it and do it manually again...
barnie.gif

I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask for others' opinions. I have an eco 20 and about 2 months ago I went ahead and ordered the auto-turner. When I got the auto-turner I was initially disappointed that it moved sooooo slowly, nothing at all like wheat happens when I walk over and turn the whole incubator.

SO- I have had two hatches since buying the turner and my hatch rate has dropped significantly. (usually have 50-75% hatches and these two were both below 50%) Not only that...but I have had multiple chicks hatch several DAYS late, I had one hatch today on DAY 24. I have had to cull several of them for leg deformities, something I have *never* experienced when I was turning them manually.

Has anyone else noticed reduced/problem hatches after relying solely on the auto-turner? I'm ready to get rid of it and do it manually again...
barnie.gif
I use the auto turner in my Genesis 1588 but don't have the turner for the Brinsea ECO 20. I turned it by hand 9 AM 5 PM 1 AM and had not problems. I have heard that deformed feet etc comes from humidity not being right but I don't know for sure. Never had it. If you had good luck without the turner then I would go back to not using it.
Jim

barnie.gif

Sally Sunshine is a great advisor on incubating, but I'll take a stab at this. Two things tell me the temp is too low. Legs and feet plus delayed hatching. Both signs of temp being around 99F. That's a tad low, imho.

I agree with Fred on the temps being to low. I have the eco 20 with the turner and always use it. After setting about 8 times with it I've never had below a 80% hatch rate. My temp is about 100 degrees which is a little high and they usually start hatching late on day 20 which is a little early. But out of about 175 chicks I've only had one that didn't survive.
Try raising you temp a little and give the turner another try. It makes life a lot simpler and I think the less you handle the eggs the better and the turner does its job a lot gentler than I can turning by hand.

idunno.gif
As far as I could tell the temp. for these hatches wasn't low, I checked it pretty regularly and it stayed right under 100. Strange things is, before I got the auto-turner I would usually have at least one chick hatch a day early. Having so many hatch late is really strange. Before when I was just tilting the incubator to turn the eggs I probably rotated it like 6-8 times a day at least. I'm probably just going to do another hatch without it and see what happens. Thanks for the input y'all!

Hi! Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but here goes....I have a brinsea octogon eco 20. It has been great, but the auto turner just quit as i was about to hatch some shipped eggs. I am going to tip it manually throughout this hatch. Idon't have the instruction sheet . Ideally, how many times I day should I be tipping the unit?

Thanks for all replies!
Pat

Hi! Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but here goes....I have a brinsea octogon eco 20. It has been great, but the auto turner just quit as i was about to hatch some shipped eggs. I am going to tip it manually throughout this hatch. Idon't have the instruction sheet . Ideally, how many times I day should I be tipping the unit?

Thanks for all replies!
Pat
I'm not susre what the manual said but I do know that when I use mine I do it 3 times in 24 hours. 9 AM 5 PM and 1 AM I've not had any problems. I've never used the auto turner.

Back
Top Bottom