THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

OK, I am really having trouble keeping my humidity up.  The highest I get it is to 74 and that's by opening it and putting hot water in it, but then in a few minutes it goes back down.   Besides the toilet paper, are there any other tricks?
Lay paper towels in the bottom of the thing so the water gets spread out over the whole bottom, and put the wet toilet paper around the vent hole...that's all I know to do. Prior to lockdown I filled the one reservoir with water, and every 3-4 days I would refill it...then for lockdown I put a paper towel sort of trailing out of the reservoirs and filled them both...if I needed to open te lid for whatever reason then I would add the toilet paper around the vent...I wanted to keep the humidity around 60% so I would get the humidity up to 80% before opening the lid...

Quote:
Thank you. Someone helped me with this earlier. I was able to bring it up last night and maintain it with the paper towels and adding water with a straw. I am interested in what you stated about the toilet paper though. So when it comes time to take some of the chicks out, I can do the toilet paper trick to bring up the humidity? I'm not sure exactly what you mean about adding toilet paper around the vent? Do you mean the hole on the top that opens and closes or the holes in the bottom?

OK, I am really having trouble keeping my humidity up.  The highest I get it is to 74 and that's by opening it and putting hot water in it, but then in a few minutes it goes back down.   Besides the toilet paper, are there any other tricks?

Lay paper towels in the bottom of the thing so the water gets spread out over the whole bottom, and put the wet toilet paper around the vent hole...that's all I know to do. Prior to lockdown I filled the one reservoir with water, and every 3-4 days I would refill it...then for lockdown I put a paper towel sort of trailing out of the reservoirs and filled them both...if I needed to open te lid for whatever reason then I would add the toilet paper around the vent...I wanted to keep the humidity around 60% so I would get the humidity up to 80% before opening the lid...

Thank you.  Someone helped me with this earlier.  I was able to bring it up last night and maintain it with the paper towels and adding water with a straw.  I am interested in what you stated about the toilet paper though.  So when it comes time to take some of the chicks out, I can do the toilet paper trick to bring up the humidity?  I'm not sure exactly what you mean about adding toilet paper around the vent?  Do you mean the hole on the top that opens and closes or the holes in the bottom?  

I took a piece of toilet paper and kept folding it til it was 1/4 inch strip, and wet it, then I sort of made a ring around the vent hole on the top that you open and close...that way it has to suck air past the wet paper...that added a ridiculous amount of humidity to the bator for me. Our humidity is like 40% on dry days too so that probably helps. But I could get it up to 80% without issue. While fiddling with it...
I actually had a chick that got comfy inside the egg after it was open, so most of the chick was inside the egg, but the 1/4 or so that was out was dry and fluffy...I went to bed and when I got up it was still in the egg sittin there...so I figured I would help it, but when I went to peel off some more of the egg it bled...which confused me to pieces because why was it almost totally hatched but bleeding..? Anyway it bled so I figured I would leave it awhile longer, but I wrapped it in a damp paper towel except for its head and wandered off for a few hours, came back and it had made its own way out. It was the only one that had any difficulty

I took a piece of toilet paper and kept folding it til it was 1/4 inch strip, and wet it, then I sort of made a ring around the vent hole on the top that you open and close...that way it has to suck air past the wet paper...that added a ridiculous amount of humidity to the bator for me. Our humidity is like 40% on dry days too so that probably helps. But I could get it up to 80% without issue. While fiddling with it...
I actually had a chick that got comfy inside the egg after it was open, so most of the chick was inside the egg, but the 1/4 or so that was out was dry and fluffy...I went to bed and when I got up it was still in the egg sittin there...so I figured I would help it, but when I went to peel off some more of the egg it bled...which confused me to pieces because why was it almost totally hatched but bleeding..? Anyway it bled so I figured I would leave it awhile longer, but I wrapped it in a damp paper towel except for its head and wandered off for a few hours, came back and it had made its own way out. It was the only one that had any difficulty

Oh poor baby. I'm glad it was a happy ending. Thank you for the advice. I was wondering what I would do when it came down to removing some of the chicks to make room for the new hatchlings. I was thinking of adding hot water with a syringe through the straw, but I like the toilet paper trick better. Less chance of one of the chicks running into the straw of hot water. As of last night, we are on lockdown and I have the perfect temp and humidity in the bator. Praying for a good hatch.
fl.gif

Thank you. Someone helped me with this earlier. I was able to bring it up last night and maintain it with the paper towels and adding water with a straw. I am interested in what you stated about the toilet paper though. So when it comes time to take some of the chicks out, I can do the toilet paper trick to bring up the humidity? I'm not sure exactly what you mean about adding toilet paper around the vent? Do you mean the hole on the top that opens and closes or the holes in the bottom?
If you haven't read it yet, go back to post # 363 and read it and some of the posts after that and you will see what some have done. Myself, I do not open my hatcher once the eggs are put into lock down until after day 22 unless they all hatch by then. I have seen to many good chicks die because of shrink wrap. All incubator company's seem like they can't stress enough to not open incubators during the last 3 days. I'm not saying it is wrong nor am I saying don't do it I'm just saying that on the above mentioned posts, they did it and it seemed to work so if I were going to do it that is what I would do. The humidity is soooo important the last few days for these babies.
Jim
Please don't think I'm being a smarty, it's just that I don't want to have anything happen to these little ones that is my fault.

Last edited:
If you haven't read it yet, go back to post # 363 and read it and some of the posts after that and you will see what some have done. Myself, I do not open my hatcher once the eggs are put into lock down until after day 22 unless they all hatch by then. I have seen to many good chicks die because of shrink wrap. All incubator company's seem like they can't stress enough to not open incubators during the last 3 days. I'm not saying it is wrong nor am I saying don't do it I'm just saying that on the above mentioned posts, they did it and it seemed to work so if I were going to do it that is what I would do. The humidity is soooo important the last few days for these babies.
Jim
Please don't think I'm being a smarty, it's just that I don't want to have anything happen to these little ones that is my fault.

Thank you Jim. I will go back and read those. I do not plan on opening my bator until I have too many chicks hatched and there is no room for them. I have 18 in there.

And in NO WAY would I ever think you were being a smarty for helping me. I appreciate all of the advice. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom