THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I have had multiple disastrous hatches with many different incubators. The Brinsea is by far the easiest to use of the incubators I have tried (2 different styros and a homemade). I like it so much that I got the auto turner for it. Definite keeper. I will still continue to weigh the eggs to check for moisture loss since I handle them anyway at candling and it makes me feel better
smile.png
I will also keep the hygro in since it lets me know when the well has run dry (humidity drop). A downside to the Brinsea is that you have to take the tray out to see the water wells so having a gauge to let me know when they are dry is very helpful.

For me, this last batch tells me the problem is the shipping damage to the embryos. I got 4/4 very healthy chicks from my own eggs and 2/12 from the shipped of which one was 'normal' and one had an exposed umbilicus that required surgery to tie off but survived. I am convinced that the shipping process is to blame for most of my problem hatches in the past. My intent is to maximize the numbers that hatch from the bio-shocked eggs!

Last edited:
very nice @Ramblin Rooster ! My "hatch day" is tomorrow, I have one lone egg in there... come on egg, come on brinsea octagon eco! so far loving the eco, my first time hatching.... am all nervous on tomorrows "hatch". had a bunch of early quitters and one blood ring. this little guy was active on day 18, so i'm still hopeful we're going strong! totally been following your info as well @immyjay54 very much appreciated!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Love my Brinsea Eco 20 so much...I got another lol. They are both maxed out-filled to the rims right now. Let me just say that I have run my Brinseas non-stop for a couple of months. I have put them to the test literally-they are just as stable and running excellent as when I got them. I have it timed when one hatches, I put more in the second and fill up the hatched one etc. and so there is never an empty incubator. I have had some humidity issues this last month or so because our weather was so dry and we had to run the heater, but only a few chicks actually needed much help.

If I could be a Brinsea spokesperson I would (and Tupperware and Rainbow/Rexair vacuum too!).

Love my Brinsea Eco 20 so much...I got another lol. They are both maxed out-filled to the rims right now. Let me just say that I have run my Brinseas non-stop for a couple of months.

If I could be a Brinsea spokesperson I would (and Tupperware and Rainbow/Rexair vacuum too!).
I was super happy with mine. I am a small breeder and only have a few hens to hatch from right now. I was thinking of getting the Mini ECO to use as a hatcher for a staggered hatch. So put 5-7 eggs per week into the Eco 20 and then pull them out once a week (and rotate in a new set) and put them into the Mini Eco to hatch. That way my 20 stays both clean and full!

Any experience with the MIni, or just the 20? Bad idea or brilliant?

Last edited:
I was super happy with mine. I am a small breeder and only have a few hens to hatch from right now. I was thinking of getting the Mini ECO to use as a hatcher for a staggered hatch. So put 5-7 eggs per week into the Eco 20 and then pull them out once a week (and rotate in a new set) and put them into the Mini Eco to hatch. That way my 20 stays both clean and full!

It's a GREAT idea! For the type hatches you are describing, it sounds ideal. I hatch so many each setting that it is sometimes difficult to rotate the eggs. I have the automated rocking cradle but prefer rolling them myself. I have seen a few good deals on the Mini on ebay recently. The price for the Brinsea incubators will be rising steadily as people are beginning their spring hatches, but if you search often Newly Listed, Buy It Now on ebay you may get lucky
big_smile.png

I am totally thinking of doing the same thing.... getting a mini to hatch out so I can keep my 20 going.... I haven't done this yet, but sounds like a great idea to me! have heard of others who use the mini for hatching and seems to work good.

"Any experience with the MIni, or just the 20? Bad idea or brilliant?"

I forgot to add that I only have experience with the eco 20 and none with the mini because I am always hatching way too many at a time lol. I had a styrofoam incubator and it was the incubator from He ll.... I tried using that as one of my alternate rotators for multiple hatching. It was NEW, but the temp spiked to 110 degrees! with a full batch of eggs! Guess what though?? The spike happened on the 2nd day of incubation and all the eggs developed! So I guess even if you get a horrible spike in temperature, as long as it is early in the incubating process, and you catch it fairly quickly, the eggs CAN still develop. I hate the foam ones with a passion! Don't trust em. My Brinseas have NEVER failed me.

Back
Top Bottom