THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Update on my BCMs in the 20...Okay it's day 24 and I think we're done. Last one hatched this morning and has a little prolapsed umbilicus. Seems healthy so far. We'll see if he makes it. So we have 11 out of 16 hatched. One pipped but I think has died. The remaining 4 have no pips. I'll leave them in for a few more days and see what happens. I have 2 dozen Paul smith line ameraucanas arriving Wednesday so I I'll have so give up on them Tuesday. I'm pretty happy with the results for shipped eggs.

It takes that long for the membranes/air cells to reattach?? I thought 24hrs was plenty enough...... I just know that the egg I check yesterday for fertility had a pretty loose & big air sac. I just set some Welsummer and Am's last night - so it would have been in there for only the first 16hrs in the turner.

Please bear in mind that I said "from what I have read". I have zero experience with shipped eggs, and am not in a position to offer solid advice to anyone on how to handle shipped eggs. I have just read a few different posts that said not to turn them for a few days, but I have no personal experience to back this up
Update on my BCMs in the 20...Okay it's day 24 and I think we're done. Last one hatched this morning and has a little prolapsed umbilicus. Seems healthy so far. We'll see if he makes it. So we have 11 out of 16 hatched. One pipped but I think has died. The remaining 4 have no pips. I'll leave them in for a few more days and see what happens. I have 2 dozen Paul smith line ameraucanas arriving Wednesday so I I'll have so give up on them Tuesday. I'm pretty happy with the results for shipped eggs.
11/16 is great on shipped eggs, especially BCM. What humidity did you use for the first 18 days? I am starting to get my first eggs from my BCM, so I hope to be setting in a month or so

Please bear in mind that I said "from what I have read". I have zero experience with shipped eggs, and am not in a position to offer solid advice to anyone on how to handle shipped eggs. I have just read a few different posts that said not to turn them for a few days, but I have no personal experience to back this up
11/16 is great on shipped eggs, especially BCM. What humidity did you use for the first 18 days? I am starting to get my first eggs from my BCM, so I hope to be setting in a month or so

LOL! No worries! Actually jumped into a thread that was all about hatching shipped eggs!

I'm borrowing an Eco 20 from a friend for my next hatch. I am trying to load eggs and having a really hard time positioning them. There has to be some tried and true ways to cushion the eggs. I have 20 prized Speckled Sussex eggs that were shipped. My first time with shipped eggs...and these eggs are the foundation for my new line, so I don't want to screw up!

How do you keep the eggs from knocking around when turning the unit?

Is it better for eggs to be loose in rails or tight?

Thanks!

Leela

I'm borrowing an Eco 20 from a friend for my next hatch. I am trying to load eggs and having a really hard time positioning them. There has to be some tried and true ways to cushion the eggs. I have 20 prized Speckled Sussex eggs that were shipped. My first time with shipped eggs...and these eggs are the foundation for my new line, so I don't want to screw up!

How do you keep the eggs from knocking around when turning the unit?

Is it better for eggs to be loose in rails or tight?

Thanks!

Leela
You don't want the rails too tight, they could crack the eggs. It's best to put them in the slot closest to the eggs without touching. If there are various sizes of eggs, try as best you can to put like sizes in the same rows. For the spaces left over at the end, I wad up paper towels to fill the gap. If there is minimal rocking of the eggs as you turn the bator, that's fine, you just don't want them spaced so far that the egg can slip under them and lay flat. If the bars are squuezing them when you set them, they may crack as they heat up. I hope I wasn't too late, I just saw this post. Here are a couple of pics of how mine is set up before they go in

Last edited:

I filled one of the reservoirs and that kept the humidity around 35-38. I really attribute my success to the beautiful condition they arrived in. I highly recommend the lady I bought them from. Find her on eBay under blue water ranch. I got 5 batches since from other breeders and they were in terrible shape. So disappointing. I don't expect my next 2 hatches to go well...just hoping to get enough to get me started.

But the chicks that hatched 1 week ago are all thriving and growing like mad. Even the last one born who had a small hernia made it and now I can't even tell which one it was...hernia is gone.

My thermometer for my Eco 20 broke as I was putting it back together after a cleaning. Where can I get a replacement? TIA!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom