THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Using my brinsea 20 Eco for the first time.  I have had the mini advance for years.  I love it but it is too small.  I also have a Janoel 24 (yes, I have an small addiction problem :p ) that I really like.  The Eco is driving me nuts.  There is so much temperature variation.  I keep messing with it, trying to find a balance.  Right now I am at 99.5 on the brinsea, 100.2 with the incu therm in the middle of the incubator and 98.8 in the corner of the incubator.  Is this "normal" for the Eco 20?  This is bring back memories of my first incubator which was a styrofoam and it was awful.

Because it is a brinsea, I went ahead and put eggs in it.  At least they are not expensive eggs.  
I check as many spots as I can, and adjust to the average of all those temperatures. I keep both of my Advances set at 100.0

I am going to leave mine where it is and move the eggs around. I am trying to withhold my opinion until after I see how well it does but I really am disappointed with it so far.

I am going to leave mine where it is and move the eggs around.  I am trying to withhold my opinion until after I see how well it does but I really am disappointed with it so far.  
You are the second person that I have heard that is disappointed with the 20 after moving up from the mini. It's going to show a mild variation in temperatures because of how air is drawn in and circulated. Don't stress yourself by moving eggs around, it's not necessary. I also rotate my tray every time I add water, which is about every 4 days. Get a reading from as many places as you can at egg level. Mine ranges anywhere from 98.5-100.7. If the average of all those temperatures is between 99.5 and 100.2, you are fine. It's not as bad as it seems. I think the real issue for you will be maintaining 65% humidity at lockdown. That's an issue for many Octagon owners, and there are ways to overcome it

My Octagon 20 eco got really loud for a minute and the red light went off. Now seems fine. Has anyone else had this happen?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would really normally read through this stuff instead of ask, but im in a jamb here. I have the brinsea octagon 20 eco with automatic turner. First time hatcher here. I ran it for 2 days prior to getting my eggs. it said 99.5. good to go! It came with a separate temp and humidity gadget to put inside along with the bulb thermometer. Ok! I get my eggs, very important eggs non the less. Get the bator up and running on Friday, it holds the 99.5 mark for 24 hours. I put in the eggs and it plummets to 97. ok, give it awhile to catch back up right? so I did. it went to 98.7 and would not get any higher. I adjusted the temp with the screw and it went up to 100.7. dang it. so I got it to 99.5. cool! then check and it keeps fluctuating. As the thing is turning on the automatic turner the thermometer is changing !!!!!!! what do I do, is this right? HELPPP!!!! I am on day 2. and im crying so hard. I do not want to mess these Sultan eggs up.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would really normally read through this stuff instead of ask, but im in a jamb here. I have the brinsea octagon 20 eco with automatic turner. First time hatcher here. I ran it for 2 days prior to getting my eggs. it said 99.5. good to go!  It came with a separate temp and humidity gadget to put inside along with the bulb thermometer. Ok! I get my eggs, very important eggs non the less. Get the bator up and running on Friday, it holds the 99.5 mark for 24 hours. I put in the eggs and it plummets to 97. ok, give it awhile to catch back up right? so I did. it went to 98.7 and would not get any higher. I adjusted the temp with the screw and it went up to 100.7. dang it. so I got it to 99.5. cool! then check and it keeps fluctuating. As the thing is turning on the automatic turner the thermometer is changing !!!!!!! what do I do, is this right? HELPPP!!!! I am on day 2. and im crying so hard. I do not want to mess these Sultan eggs up.

First, breathe! None of those temps are alarming! You haven't hurt anything this early. I'd suggest just relaxing and let it stabilize.
But... Did you calibrate/verify the extra meter that you put in? These units the heater comes on and goes off, comes back on and goes back off. They maintain an average temp usually very well, so seeing highs and lows are not a problem. The egg doesn't change temp as quickly as a thermometer might.
I will also say though that you should have the incubator in an area in your house where the temp stays pretty steady and is free from drafts. Its will work much more efficiently that way.

Good luck!

yes the thermometers have been calibrated and were correct when i first set up the incubator and let it run for a few days. It held firm and never really changed either. Only when i put the eggs in did i get a problem. I am wanting to know if anyone with this bator sees a change in temp when the cradle rocks the eggs.?

I also had the digital thermometer stuck to the plastic inside of the bator top. I have since been told NOT to do that. that it will give me a false reading. So it put in on the bottom of the egg holder.

I also have it in a draft free area that keeps the same room temp 24/7

Last edited:
I have the eco myself and I have the same temp fluctuation issues. Mine will swing a half a degree or so while turning. Also I see a change in the bator temp when the temp in my house changes. When it's 67 in the house, it will drop to 99.0 and when the house is up around 73 it goes up to 100 in the bator. I am constantly fiddling with the red screw to keep it close to 99.5. Why won't this little bator just hold steady???????

Back
Top Bottom