THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Thanks.  Live and learn, I thought because it was a binsea I could trust it.  Anyone else have this happen.   I purchased it through amazon so I hope the return will be easy.

I had one incubator cook eggs in lockdown TWICE. They were awesome with handling shipping and eventually just switched out the heating element. Luckily they were my eggs and not shipped eggs.

They should be fine. Just keep your vents open once you pull the chicks to help with the extra moisture in the egg. I've done staggered hatches with no effect.
smile.png

How do you stagger hatches? Wouldn't the eggs/chicks with an earlier hatch date play soccer with those with a later hatch date and damage them?

Came home after work and the incubator was at 85 and really loud. Pretty sure my eggs are toast. I don't have an open incubator to move my eggs to. I moved them to an incubator that is on lock down. Anyone ever done this and they were ok.

I've had this happen to me once. Turned out it was my fault. I have a ECO 20, and I had opened it to add water. Somehow I didn't align the top/lid with the base and left a gap. Without the top being fitted to the base, the incubator couldn't reach/maintain the set temperature. After closing the lid properly, the ECO was able to return to the set temperature, and the loud noise went away as well.

How do you stagger hatches?  Wouldn't the eggs/chicks with an earlier hatch date play soccer with those with a later hatch date and damage them? 

If I want to start a few eggs at the end of another set of eggs before lockdown, I just set the eggs to one side with the little separator bars that came with the incubator and maybe lay a paper towel over them. I always leave my vent open anyway when not in lockdown so the eggs loose the excess water. I've done it many times with no ill effects to the new batch of chicks. One of the perks of living in the desert. No extra moisture to contend with.

I've had this happen to me once.  Turned out it was my fault.  I have a ECO 20, and I had opened it to add water.  Somehow I didn't align the top/lid with the base and left a gap.  Without the top being fitted to the base, the incubator couldn't reach/maintain the set temperature.  After closing the lid properly, the ECO was able to return to the set temperature, and the loud noise went away as well.
X2
This is exactly what I was going to say. Sounds like the lid wasn't settled properly. I'd bet money on it. Brinsea doesn't have temperature swings like that

Thanks.  Live and learn, I thought because it was a binsea I could trust it.  Anyone else have this happen.   I purchased it through amazon so I hope the return will be easy.
I totally agree with the lid not being on all the way. 85 degrees wouldn't kill the chicks. A spike would, but not a drop. At 85 degrees, it makes me think the heater was working hard to warm up, that's why it was loud. Did you check to see that the lid was on right, and if so did it settle down?

Yes I checked because I actually did leave it loose once, the first day. I took the eggs out and left it on for an hour, the temp would not go past 87. Tried shutting if off for awhile. No luck. Amazon is sending another that should be here by tuesday. Fingers crossed on the eggs. On Sunday I emailed Brinsea about the temp variation. Last night I emailed them to let them them know what happened. No response so far.

Yes I checked because I actually did leave it loose once, the first day.  I took the eggs out and left it on for an hour, the temp would not go past 87.  Tried shutting if off for awhile.   No luck.  Amazon is sending another that should be here by tuesday.  Fingers crossed on the eggs.  On Sunday I emailed Brinsea about the temp variation.  Last night I emailed them to let them them know what happened.  No response so far.
Really? I'm sorry, but glad Amazon is making it right

Back
Top Bottom