THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Love my Brinsea Eco 20. Had my first hatch today and I believe 8 out of 12. Will see tomorrow when I take them out!

dumb question, when we hit lockdown and fill the water resevoirs, how do we fill them if they go down if we can not get inside it????? do we go ahead and fill or just wait it out?

I read at the beginning of this thread that some people drill a hole in the side and run tubing directly to the well, so that they never have to remove the egg tray to add water. Problem is that voids the warranty. I would fill it up quick on day 19 before pips, as SC said.

Love my Brinsea Eco 20. Had my first hatch today and I believe 8 out of 12. Will see tomorrow when I take them out!

Congrats!!

I have 15 welsummer and 12 cream Legbar eggs that I need to incubate. I have the Eco 20. Have other been able to fit this many eggs in their bator?
Yes, you just have to put them in without the rails, or with a minimum of rails, depending on how big your eggs are.

Scroll up a little but, and you can see how Fishnet put hers in, same way I did for my last set of 28. Just used one rail down the middle. Sometimes you have to improvise and use something as a spacer - like a cut toilet paper roll if they don't fit exactly.

Last edited:
Normally at least a few will be clear/infertile or will stop developing somewhere along the line. As you take them out, you make more room for the others.

Chicks can hatch upright though, and some people even prefer it that way.

Just to report back on the first staggered hatch I've done. Great outcome - 100% hatch rate for both sets of eggs in my mini advance, three eggs each set hatching a week a part. The second set of eggs took a day longer to hatch, I think due to the higher humidity because I filled both sides of the water reservoir for the first set and didn't drain it out after the first set of chicks hatched. Also, it probably was due to me opening the incubator multiple times to take the chicks out and to remove the shells. Oh, and I added new eggs and staggered again.

This is both good and bad. It's good because I could incubate continuously, and it is bad because I don't have to wait until a hatch finish before starting another one! Thanks to all who said staggering hatches causes no ill effects.

Hey! Question for the veteran Brinsea octagon peeps....I'm on day 13 with my new Brinsea octagon 40!!! I love it soooo much... Couple questions when I go into lockdown I take the rails out....do I then lay the eggs on their sides? The 40 holds ALOT bantam eggs do I'm afraid when it's hatching time there won't be enough room. It has 55 bantam eggs in there! All growing nicely.... Eeeekkkk Thanks For any thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom